Whitney Houston/Dionne Warwick

kev

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:41 am
I've just had a conversation in the pub over a lunchtime pint (6) about whether Whitney Houston is Dionne Warwick's niece OR cousin. Anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,783 • Replies: 23
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:50 am
I believe she's her niece.
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:35 am
I thought so too Bi-Polar, but I looked it up and here is her bio on Askmen.com:

Whitney Elizabeth Houston was born on August 9th, 1963, in Newark, New Jersey. She is the daughter of Cissy Houston, a successful rhythm and blues backup singer, and cousin of singer Dionne Warwick.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:52 am
Thanks Bi-polar and jasmine,

I bet (this lunchtime) that she was Dionne Warwicks niece. I thought so simply because DW had chart hits around 1962 Britside, and since Whitney was only born around then, I thought she must be DW niece

******* thats another £10 I'm out
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:14 pm
sorry kev - maybe your mate will buy you a pint with the £10 he got from you Smile

or...... win it back with this question - Who is "Great Balls of Fire" singer, Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin?

Answer: American TV evangelist, Jimmy Swaggart.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:48 am
I'd never get him to bet on that Jasmine, over here we've never heard of Jimmy Swaggert.
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:00 pm
darn! lol - okay, ....does he know who Norah Jones' famous father is?

(I'm trying to win you back your 10 quid, kev!)
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
jasmine_mirage wrote:
darn! lol - okay, ....does he know who Norah Jones' famous father is?

(I'm trying to win you back your 10 quid, kev!)

and I'm grateful Jasmine that you are on my side but who the hell is Norah Jones?

If you had something juicy like who is the illegitimate son of Oliver Hardy and Mary pickford answer Bill Clinton, then I'll take this sucker for a grand.

But at least we gotta have heard of him.
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:35 pm
Quote:
and I'm grateful Jasmine that you are on my side but who the hell is Norah Jones?

She is the current sweetheart on the music charts these days, kev (her Dad, btw is Ravi Shankar......I know....you're going to say "Jasmine, who the hell is Ravi Shankar", aren't you? Smile

I'm trying kev, I'm trying............
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:38 pm
Kev, Norah Jones is a Grammy-award winning singer & pianist. Soft rock/blues genre. Hard to categorize, but very mellow. Has been at or near the top of the charts for the last two years.

Her father is Ravi Shankar, the sitar musician who inspired/played with the Beatles, among other things. Her mother was British, and I believe she was raised in England. Is that correct?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:39 pm
Oops! I posted a little too late... Embarrassed
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:03 pm
hehe - never too late, Eva - thanks! She was born in New York and later moved to Grapevine, Texas with her Mum, Sue.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:00 pm
jasmine_mirage wrote:
Quote:

She is the current sweetheart on the music charts these days, kev (her Dad, btw is Ravi Shankar......I know....you're going to say "Jasmine, who the hell is Ravi Shankar", aren't you? Smile

I'm trying kev, I'm trying............

I know who Ravi Shankar is but how could I have guessed that he had a daughter called Norah Jones Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:34 pm
Norah's a (shudder) TEXAN? Who woulda thunk it?
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:16 pm
Quote:
I know who Ravi Shankar is but how could I have guessed that he had a daughter called Norah Jones

Precisely, Kev - your mate won't know either, will he? Bet him and win back your tenner with, "Ravi Shankar has a famous relative who's big on the music charts in America right now . Her name is Norah Jones - hmmm....I wonder if she is his niece, daughter or grandaughter?" Now YOU know the answer- lol
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
Sultry, contemporary jazz with spurs - gotta love it, Eva

(p.s. my 13 year old just came back from Italy after a 3 week tour with her class - her favourite city was.... Venice)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:02 pm
It's very hard for me to pick a favorite city in Italy. They're all so beautiful. But Venice is so thoroughly different from anywhere else in the world. I'd be interested to hear why she chose it.
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:45 pm
She loved the city - the shops, the mood at night with the lights reflecting off the water, and believe it or not - the pigeons in the square. Her next favourite was Florence, because of the art (The Uffizi Gallery) and then came Ravenna, for its food. Being 13, she adored the gelato in all seven of the cities she visited (she paid 10 Euros [which equals almost $13 US] for one cone in Florence!!! LOL).

She just asked me if your avatar was "The Birth of Venus" by Botticelli and thought it was beautiful.

...she also told me that my stock avatar with "the hair on end image" was extremely weird! I agreed, and just now changed it!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:37 am
Yes, the avatar is from "The Birth of Venus." I added the flower in the hair & the colored ribbon this spring when everyone was fancying up their avatars for spring. I'll probably go back to the original soon. (Also, I flipped the image so it would face the text...editor's habit.)

I loved Ravenna, too...saw St. Apollinare and San Vitale...unbelievably beautiful mosaics. Still as bright and colorful as when they were installed around 500 AD! I was fascinated by the architectural differences between the two churches...one in the old Roman design, and the other in the (then) brand new Byzantine design. Learning the history of Ravenna filled in many gaps in my understanding of European history.

I had to wait until my mid-40s to see Italy. How fortunate she is to have seen it at such an early age!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:21 am
jasmine_mirage wrote:
Quote:
I know who Ravi Shankar is but how could I have guessed that he had a daughter called Norah Jones

Precisely, Kev - your mate won't know either, will he?

No jasmine he wont know the answer, but that means he wont take the bet. Contrary to popular belief the human species doesn't get any more canny than Yorkshire folk.

I went to school with a lad who was a self made millionaire by the time he was twenty one and he achieved this by working on a mark up of 100%, he used to buy his goods from Scotland and sell them in Israel, and trust me you have to be pretty canny to do that.
0 Replies