The Devil is throwing rocks at New Zealand.

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:36 am
Grapefruit-Sized Meteorite Smashes Through NZ Home

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A grapefruit-sized meteorite smashed through the roof of a New Zealand house, hitting a couch and bouncing off the ceiling before coming to rest under a computer.

The 1.3 kg (2.9 lb) chunk of space debris dropped out of the sky and plummeted through the tiled roof of the Auckland home Saturday.

"I was in the kitchen doing breakfast and there was this almighty explosion," owner Brenda Archer told the Sunday Star-Times newspaper.

See the Proof

Just what have you folks done?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 903 • Replies: 11
No top replies

margo

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 11:51 am
Well, he would, wouldn't he?

(where's Eve? Smile )
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:04 pm
The town of Weathersfield Connecticut, one of the earliest settled in the state (c.1636) has had this happen to it twice in the last 30 years. That is definitely a place to wear a hard hat indoors.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:33 pm
The values of these meteorites are determined by a fairly mature market. I think the 10K number is way low.
Ithink of the velocity that this thing was coming in.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:37 pm
Hey, farmer, explain the part about them 'drying it off in the oven'? Wasn't that thing hot as a pistol in the first place?

Question J
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm
I sent a note and the article to a friend who does this stuff. She can shed some light, I have absolutely no idea unless its an issue about contamination or annealing . A guess here joe--in metallurgy they often cool metal alloys slowly so their malleability isnt changed by too quick cooling. When something is heated to red hot, a quick quench causes rapid crystallization and small dense crystals and , hence, harder metals.

We need blacksmithin from abuzz , this is not my area.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 04:51 pm
This thing has traveled through space for billions of years and must have originally been quite large as most of it burned up in the atmosphere. It should be worth a fortune!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 04:57 pm
This is the third house that I know of that has been hit by a meteorite, the other two were in Connecticut. I could never understand why they didn't set the house on fire.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 05:09 pm
I am here Margo - it missed me. We don't mind whoever it is throwing rocks at us - the piece those people found in their living room is apparently going to earn them a fortune.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:22 am
Eve wrote:
I am here Margo - it missed me. We don't mind whoever it is throwing rocks at us - the piece those people found in their living room is apparently going to earn them a fortune.

So, big is better?

http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio351/images/400-YucatanImpact.jpg

Here's some lucky New Zealander coping a 10km piece of comet-gold!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:05 pm
Joe-I was told that the oven dry has to do with contamination and to drive out intermolecular water that was sucked up as the thing hit the earth (I30 C is the target) about 270F
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:26 pm
I smashed a hole in my roof then heated an ordinary large rock to 300 c. I am now inviting scientists over for the bidding process.
0 Replies