Drip watering revisited

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 02:33 pm
Its once having rained I'm forever hoping to stumble upon a rule-of-thumb that might suggest how long before resuming (drip) watering

Surely among some 300,000 other contributors one or two of you has pondered the same q

Yes I have approached the subject on Gardenbuddies with but varied success

http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/threads/7734-Watering-after-rain-revisited?p=88707#post88707

….And on Google also, my only success being the discovery that the Arizona cypress requires 12 in. rain a year, suggesting a delay of 3 days for each 0.1 in. before resumption

Thanks anyone else having addressed this problem
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 09:45 pm
In Albuquerque, we water once a week in winter, twice a week in spring and autumn and three times a week at the height of hot summer.

If it rains enough to soak the soil, skip a watering. If the plants show signs of wilting, increase the watering frequency.

There is no set formula. The weather isn't that predictable or reliable. Observe the needs of the garden and water accordingly. Be flexible enough to adjust the frequency of watering with the seasons and as needed.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Back in the day I had knowledge of many devices, having designed many irrigation systems, many of them drip in the later years, intricate plans for a hugh lot of acreage.

Me, in Albuquerque too, I am trying to plant plants, native as I can with a couple of exceptions, rosemary and lavender, that will make it.
Now I water by a gallon bottle, aimed to a mound around the plant.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:36 pm
Also, dale, places vary greatly.

My old bible of sorts was the Sunset Western Gardens book, and I still have kept some of the series, though I liked my first ones more than my last one. The first ones almost fell apart and had scribbles all over the place, since I worked with them every day forever. I'm sorry I tossed that first and second one.

They have a different zone thing than the USDA take. Worth looking at, different considerations.
33export

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 06:43 am

Picture links to xeriscaping tips:

http://images.landscapingnetwork.com/pictures/images/500x500Max/site_8/xeriscape-garden-in-bloom-boxhill-landscape-design_8775.jpg

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:35 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks But, your reply is very practical

Yet still open to rule-of-thumb suggestions. For instance in typical soil after rain, at say spring temps, at what rate does water level subside

Eg, (1) how many inches (or tenths) are required for saturation; that is, when further rainfall of no benefit

or (2) after how many days does it drop below the level required by, say, (a) bulb (b) typical tree

etc etc
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:37 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks Oss, I'll ask my Better Half if she too might be interested in that pub
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 11:22 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Back in the day I had knowledge of many devices...
Thanks again Oss and coincidentally I just ran across a device that measures soil moisture. One sticks it into the ground, gets a reading on an old-fashioned meter. Now wondering after a rain at what depth of the receding "water table" I should resume in shallow-rooted
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 11:55 am
@dalehileman,
It depends on the plants' particular needs.

Do you have a good garden center anywhere in your area? I don't mean the big box stores.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Do you have a good garden center anywhere in your area?
Oh yea Oss I'm sure I do, or corner of the Mojave being pretty heavily populated. But what should I be looking for
dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Do you have a good garden center anywhere in your area?
Oh yea Oss I'm sure I do, our corner of the Mojave being pretty heavily populated. But what should I be looking for
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:37 pm
@dalehileman,
Someone to talk to about watering. Different plants have different evapotranspiration rates and will have been planted in differing soils (re drainage) and may be living in differing micro environments and have shallow or deep roots at this time. If someone is pretty smart there, they'll have an idea how to answer re your plants in your particular area. Going in with a list of your plants could be helpful.

Some of the garden centers of my past were started by people who know a lot, so sometimes the higher up people are good to talk with; on the other hand, in a good shop, sometimes the employees are pretty swift.

A lot of natives when first planted will need some water for the first year or two until they are well established, and then can be let go on their own. But, since you're in the Mohave, I'd ask locals about that.

Me, I look at the leaves.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks much Oss

In the meantime however if you run onto any sort of rule-of-thumb guidance I'm always receptive
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 06:04 pm
@dalehileman,
There is no rule. Plants (differing plants with varied tolerance) need water in (differing climates and even microclimates) in differing soils (clay to sand) that may or may not have been adjusted with amendments. This can all happen on one property.

I don't think you want to get into evapotranspiration rates. I once had to estimate water usage for a year for a large project. This was before programs for all this. Took me fifteen hours. I think you want your plants to live. Talk to local people.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 11:16 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I don't think you want to get into evapotranspiration rates
I sure don't but thanks for today's new word. It's not everyday…..

1. The combined processes of evaporation, sublimation, and transpiration of the water from the earth's surface into the atmosphere

http://onelook.com/?w=evapotranspiration&ls=a

Now have two more to look up

Quote:
Took me fifteen hours
Oss I can well believe that, knowing the many factors involved
0 Replies