Bands who became people, people who became bands

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:22 am
Cataloguing my collection, as I do, I came across the band Bram Tchaikovsky's last album Funland. Their name was a pseudonym adopted by their leader Peter Bramall. He'd left short lived new wave superstars The Motors where his creative input was ignored. The band folded the same year Funland was released and Bram left the music industry.

Of course this reminded me of Alice Cooper - who were a band with a singer named Vincent Furnier - who had been called the Earwigs, then The Nazz until settling on the name Alice Cooper. Vincent adopted an on-stage persona of Alice Cooper, but it was the band's name until 1974 whenVincent went solo and took the Alice Cooper name with him.

Got any more like this? My only rule is that http://www.discogs.com/ has separate entries for the band and the person (they use the convention of numbers in brackets for different acts with the same name - so the band is Alice Cooper, and the person Alice Cooper (2)) but both entries have to be identical apart from the numbering.

So no Charlie Daniels Band, no Alan Parsons Project, no Jimi Hendrix Experience.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,144 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:35 am
@hingehead,
Marilyn Manson came to mind.... still thinking.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:37 am
@hingehead,
well, there were the POLICE but they got disbanded by a STING
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:41 am
thinking
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:42 am
Maybe not the same, but when I was a kid I didn't realise Mungo Jerry was the name of a band. I thought it was front man Ray Dorset's real name.

http://www.listvote.com/images/lfm/01wn7kt_mega.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:29 am
I'm not sure I'm using your linked website correctly because it just brought up a song list but I'm thinking --

Blondie.
boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:38 am
Eminem?

Jethro Tull?
boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:49 am
Van Halen?

The Ramones?

Captain Beefheart?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:11 am
Bon Jovi.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:21 am
@boomerang,
Jethro Tull, absolutely.

Jethro was the inventor of the seed drill, revolutionising farming.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Jethro_Tull_(agriculturist).jpg
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
And a celebrated castrator, judging by what he's holding in his left hand.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
That's his Georgian Rampant Rabbit. He invented that as well but had to wait for someone else to invent batteries, so it never took off at the time.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 02:52 pm
So far only pearly gets a prize.

Marilyn Manson is indeed the band's name and the artist's name. Kind of unsurprising considering he/they updated Alice Cooper's shock rock for the nineties. Or should that have been Alice Coopers'?

I thought boomer might be on a winner with Captain Beefheart, but that was only ever Don Van Liet's pseudonym, his band was the Magic Band

Bon Jovi was only ever the band, John Francis Bongiovi, Jr used the moniker Jon Bon Jovi in his solo efforts.

Blondie got their name from Deborah Harry's platinumness, but she never recorded solo using that name.

Jethro Tull, sadly, never built on his fame in agricultural engineering to branch Minogue-like into recording And missed a golden opportunity to join a band that had his name, by dying quite few years before any of the members were born.

Eminen was only ever Marshall Mathers' pseudonym.

Perhaps strangely, for all the members of The Ramones (e.g. Joey, Dee Dee, etc) none of them had the foresight to name himself 'The'.

Alex and Eddie Van Halen always included their first names when not recording as a band.

And while its outside my purview I'm pretty sure castration refers to the removal of the testicles https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration

It might be the iPad screen but it looks like Jethro has been experimenting with penectomy. Parental advisory warning https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penectomy
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 04:25 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I'm not sure I'm using your linked website correctly because it just brought up a song list

If you put the artist you're thinking of into the search at the top of the page the ones Hinge is looking for will be listed twice as an artist with a (2) after the second listing. You can click on a brief description so you can see that one listing is referring to the solo artist and one is referring to the band.
I tried a lot more without any luck. I'm quite ignorant about music - but I enjoy a challenge.
0 Replies