View from your Window contest in The Dish

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 11:21 am
Until recently, I've somehow missed this photo contest, which every week shows a view that a reader has sent in to The Dish site and readers try to figure out where in the world, literally, the photo was taken.

The contest view shows up on Saturday, and the winner (and many of the guesses ) is shown on Tuesday. I'm so addicted to this damned contest that I've gone back to the archive, which starts in 2010, oy vey, and am reading all the Tuesday articles about who won.

Part of the fun is guessing myself, but I'm rarely very close to right. Reading people's entries, and seeing some photos that go with those, is a trip, literally.
The writing of the participants is generally excellent, sometimes witty, and The Dish writer is really good at handling the contest. I think Chris Boddener has been that writer all these weeks, or a lot of the weeks.

At this point, the contest is somewhere around its 236th week. I'm now on week #41. Fascinating, fascinating.

To be clear, if you read The Dish for all its news and discussion content, you'll run across views from windows that aren't part of the contest. The contest view will have a contest week number.

Link to archive -
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/vfyw-contest/

A recent winner -
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/12/10/the-view-from-your-window-contest-winner-234/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,530 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 11:56 am
@ossobuco,
No kidding Osso, I took one look at that window view and said Atlas Mountains.

Not that I've ever been there, but I recently watched The Hairy Bikers (TV Cookery/travel series) and they travelled right through there.

I could easily get hooked on this contest.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 01:44 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Yeah, watch out. I'm reading about five on the archive list at a sitting just because I keep wanting to check one more. Some weeks are more interesting than others, but I can't always tell by the photo since some of the photos are at first glance rather boring and turn out to be another learning experience.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
OK, now I'm up to number 53.

You're lagging, Lordie.
0 Replies