Do you have a mobile (cell) phone?

hamburger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:34 pm
a joke we picked up in rome/italy a few years ago. if you see a couple of guys walking down the street together and talking on the cellphone, they are talking to each other. i understand that is was cumbersome to get a regular phone in italy (and some other countries), regulations, poor service ..., so when cellphones became readily available, people just flocked to them. truly, in rome it seemed that everyone was talking on a cellphone. btw. in germany cellphones are called "handy". hbg
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
The best reason for not having a cell phone is simply not wanting to be disturbed. Even if you have the ringer off or the phone off, you know it's there, and so do other people. They get mad when you don't have it on, whereas, if you don't have a phone - you can paint in peace or what have you.

I prefer to leave my cell phone in the car (where it is unbelievably helpful) and not take it everywhere with me.

[not that I have a car at this point, but that's another story...sigh.]
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
I don't have one because there is no coverage for 100 miles in any direction from where I live.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
Re: Do you have a mobile (cell) phone?
Grand Duke wrote:
I was just looking around the CIA World Factbook site and spotted some stats about mobile cell phone usage in different countries. As probably expected, the US tops the list of numbers of units in use (based on 2002 figures).

After a little calculation[*] however, I was able to come up with the % of population which has a mobile phone. This produced some very interesting results, a selection of which I have included below:

1. 88% - Iceland
2. 76% - Ireland
3. 73% - Austria
4. 72% - UK
5. 72% - Finland
6. 70% - Taiwan
7. 67% - Germany
8. 60% - Singapore
9. 58% - South Korea
10. 56% - New Zealand

13. 50% - Japan
17. 44% - Australia
28. 27% - Canada
32. 25% - Netherlands
34. 24% - USA
42. 18% - France

Countries with a higher percentage of the population with mobile phones than the US include Croatia, Guam, Macau & the United Arab Emirates.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking that this is mildly interesting. Let me know your opinions on mobile (cell) phones in general.

[*] As these figures are based on 2 y/o data, there may have be some changes since then.

i've had one for years, i'd feel lost without one. anyone remember the first generation of phones that came out? huge bahstids, would break your foot if you dropped it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
Once we got a cable modem for the computer there was no sense in having a landline (fixed phone) so we got rid of it, that was almost four years ago. The big suspense around here, after getting the cable company and Con Edison to understand that yes, our only phone is the cell number, was whether the local Hunan Balcony would deliver an order called in on a cell. (They would and do.)

We have unlimited calling to each other and any other Verizon phone. Our national plan eliminates roaming when we are in Florida and elsewhere.
I can call my distributors and chew them out while quaffing a latte at Starbuck's.

~~~~
One Sunday night I was flipping channels and caught an old Mannix. For you Aussies and others, it was a detective show. ANYway, Mannix and his girl Friday were in his car when a thought suddenly struck them. HAH A Clue! So, they pulled over and got out of the car and walked to a phone booth and called their contact at the police station. I was stunned at how arcane that looked. A phone booth! and out of the car!

~~~~
Most of the time when you see someone talking to themselves on the streets of New York, it's not someone who's crazy, it's someone on their cell. Except the other day I was in Madison Square Park eating lunch when this nicely dressed man sat down a few bench seats away. I could hear him talking, having a long intertwined argument with someone, but I concentrated on the Chalibi article I was reading until I glanced over and saw that he didn't have a cellphone, no headset, no dangling wire with little bud mic. He was nuts and talking to himself and apparently losing the argument because he kept saying, "Just a second, just a second, just a second." but his internal self was having none of it and finally he got up, shook himself like a wet dog and headed off towards the Flatiron Building.

Joe
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:14 pm
Countries with a higher percentage of the population with mobile phones than the US include Croatia, Guam, Macau & the United Arab Emirates.

Confused guam is part of the us of a, a territory of, but still.........
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:16 pm
I have had a cell phone since they were the size of a lunch box. That was about twelve years ago, if memory serves. They were so expensive then -- about $600 and you paid by the minute -- about .25 or maybe .30 a minute, which worked out to only about a hundred bucks a month or so for me, because I was real cautious about long-winded conversations back then.

Today, I talk about 1500-2000 minutes a month on both of them.

Yes, two.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:09 am
hamburger, I don't know about Italy, but I doubt they're in worse position then Croatia? And here there are absolutely no problems with fixed phone lines, everybody had it (okay, I am not sure about few remote villages, but I guess even they have it) and still everybody has those annoying things. Once again, including me
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:20 am
It is true that some people got mobile phones because they couldn't get a fixed one; but consider two things:
- In most such cases they wanted old analog mobiles, because of better coverage in mountains etc. Most people that couldn't get a fixed line lived in very remote areas
- Soon the prices of mobiles were so low it was a couple of times cheaper to get a mobile phone than a fixed line.

I don't understand people here complaining about costs of mobile telephony. Here in Slovenia you get a basic phone (nokia etc.) practically for free, and price of calls is as low as 0.05 - 0.2 EUR / minute .

Depends on your 'need to talk' but for me that is cheap. Still, people who need to talk 1 hour at a time are better off using fixed phones; although the price of fixed calls went up almost 10X since the mobiles came.

And it is fun : you can really reach people whenever they don't switch off their phone. And you know who you are going to get, no more "Hello, is John there? .. Well, John Doe.. He isn't ? Wrong number ..hell."

And common misconception is that SMS is cheap; it isn't. For a price of a single SMS, you get 60 seconds of conversation. I can explain what i need in 30 seconds, usually. Depends on how fast you read or listen Smile

Relative.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:58 am
I have had a cell phone for about 5 years. Very few people know the number, so I don't have a problem with long messages. As I had said in another thread,

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26441

I am seriously considering dumping my landline, after I work out a few kinks. Then I will have to give the number out to everyone.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:13 am
pueo wrote:
Confused guam is part of the us of a, a territory of, but still.........

That's what I thought, but it looks like the CIA know something no-one else does...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:38 pm
I thought about dumping my landline, too, but two things are stopping me. DSL, and the fact that our local "9-1-1" service can't track cell calls.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:43 pm
I used to have a cellphone when we were on dial-up, but I work at home. I gave it up when we moved to a cable modem. I don't feel the need for one in my business.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:55 pm
Two.

Call 867-5309. Ask for Jenny.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Two.

Call 867-5309. Ask for Jenny.

Yep, the 80s were great. Tommy Tutone?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:50 am
I have 2 phones, both Nokias. One is an old 'pay-as-you-go' phone that someone gave me, which I use for texing sometimes as the rates are ridiculous. The other is a nice shiny new one which work gave me for making business calls on. Carrying 2 phones around can be a pain, but I can't really manage with only one. Sad, I know...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
Yep, I have a cell phone. I don't use it and drive at the same time though. There is currently legislation underway in Maryland that would make it illegal to use a cell phone while driving. I have to keep my landline cause I have a dial up modem and a home security system.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:37 am
As from 1 December '04 it has become illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving in Britain. Hands-free kits are the only option now.
0 Replies