Book Group Discussion One: "Fury" by Salman Rushdie.

Debacle

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:17 am
Got three chapters under me belt ... figgertively.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:58 am
Never said you were mawkish, Pueo - said you were a master of definition one.

ARE you mawkish?

Well done deb.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:35 pm
I picked up my copy about 2 hours ago. I guess I have something new to read over the next few nights.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:41 pm
Yay - Fishin' is joining us! I haven't started it yet.....
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:36 pm
Hi all
I'll pick up a copy in the next day or two.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 06:27 pm
Hi,

So I've finished it, am bustin' to talk about it, can wait, not really sure what to do next. Have started a "notes" thread for bits and pieces, but find I keep wanting to do the analysis, and should prolly wait for that.

Any thoughts?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:35 am
Not yet -I am just starting - in Chapter 2 or thereabouts - make some notes and post them later, Soze - or do others have different thoughts?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:12 am
Depends how you want to tackle this deb. Do we want to wait until we've all finished reading the entire book or do we want to discuss chapters as we move along?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:19 am
My only concern, for what it is worth, with discussing chapters as we go along, is that people will be at different stages in the book - and it might mar the freshness/pleasure.

But - I guess people can avoid "peeking" if this is a concern.

I'm easy!!!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:37 am
I bought, I read, I did not like it
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:09 am
That's OK. Guatam. You don't have to LIKE a book to discuss it.

Geez. Haven't you ever been in a book club before!!!!!

This can be the most fun... I hated the book because: 1, 2, 3. You get to be a book critic (yay!).

And if you change your mind, even a little, think how happy your book club friends will be.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:13 am
GAUTAM! I'm so happy. Last night I had a question and was trying to think of someone else who had read a lot of Indian novels, and your name flashed across my consciousness in a brilliant arc. Very Happy Since the question is about a late-breaking plot development, I think I'll PM you (then clue in the rest of y'all later.)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 01:16 pm
I went to Barnes and Noble and told them I was looking for Furry

which I understood to be the autobiography of an Australian rabbit.

I've been MISLEAD they didn't have it!!!

so I settled for a novel by Salman Rushdie
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:17 pm
Goodness me!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:28 pm
jjorge! "Furry" has been sold out for months! You should have asked them for "Furry and the Velco Straps - The Unauthorised Biography of an Aussie Wabbit in Space". They would have had it I'm sure! lmao
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:40 pm
Shocked Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 03:26 pm
Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:23 pm
Just now, literally! I picked up my library copy of the book. I have read some Rushdie and thought it tedious, but this one has an interesting premise and I've seen some fun and delicious entries already, just flipping through.

I agree that you can get quite a bit out of a book club discussion whether or not you "like" the book. In fact, I have really enjoyed hearing why others see an author in such a differing light than I do. Tells me lots more about my friends, and also about me - the reflections raised in discussion.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:55 pm
fishin' wrote:
jjorge! "Furry" has been sold out for months! You should have asked them for "Furry and the Velco Straps - The Unauthorised Biography of an Aussie Wabbit in Space". They would have had it I'm sure! lmao

Thanks for the tip fishin. I have it on order.
It'll be hare in 3-5 days.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:03 pm
jjorge and fishin'

Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Twisted Evil Laughing :wink:
0 Replies