The Picture of Dorian Grey

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:52 pm
I am reading the Picture of Dorian Grey and I am a bit confused about it. It is very interesting but I get angry about all the "*" through the book, I can't help to check the explanation, even tho I know the phrase or word that is marked.

What is your opinion of this book?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,620 • Replies: 26
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:18 pm
I loved it myself. I'm a bit confused about the "*" thing. What exactly do you mean?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:26 pm
I suppose he/she means that there are lot of explanations in the book - I am short of english term...you know, like...
Cherokee* and then at the bottom it says "tribe of Native Americans"
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:28 pm
Did you finish reading the book or you still reading it?

I want to know what is your impression, what you got from the book - if anything?

Do you understand it, will you read it again? What's your general opinion of the book? Confused

I hate the introduction so much, that I don't even remember the name of the lady who did it, as for the rest of the book ... well, I'm still reading for the second time!!! Sad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Ahh...I loaned my copy of the book to my brother, so I can't really reference it. I'm sure someone here can though.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:36 pm
My - that's one of the things that I hate, as much as I try not to look at the explanation, I can't - I go str8 down and read what I already knew and that sort of takes me out of concentration and loose the idea of the chapter. Confused

BTW - I'm a "he" Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:39 pm
Bah, don't bother reading the notes. Just read the book and make up your own mind about what you think. Then, once you finish the book, you can go check the notations.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:52 pm
Easier to say than to do it, I have try but it doesn't work. This is my second time with this book.

I just want to know what do everybody thinks about the book and how was written. Will you read any other book - if you know that is written in the same way?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:54 pm
I don't like too many editor's notes in general. I prefer to read a book the way the author intended. I thought it was a good read, with a statement about hubris, and the natural human taste for temptation.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:10 pm
Ahhhhh, the temptation, that is the reason why I'm reading the book in the first place. The book can be very seductive, that I like.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:35 am
I will ask what's the deal with the *s all over the place, when I next meet with my colleagues in Literature... I've not noticed them; but I have always loved Wilde's plays better than his prose; especially The Importance of being Earnest.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:35 am
*double post*

0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:47 am
Thank you Dróm - I will love to be able to ignore them but I can't.

My mother said that I have to remember when the book was written, that at the time not to many people knew what was he talking about and that still a lot of people might not know it either.

So, I guess I'm being a bit selfish by complaining about all the "*" and other symbols with the explanations. Embarrassed
0 Replies

tellmemore

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:45 am
its a great catch!
the book is a very twistedly interesting book. though in the middle somewhere it did seem a bit boring and out of place to me. still it has somethimg in it which will take you to the end of the story, and somewhere in ur mind u'll be happy that u read it. even though the '*' did make some trouble at times.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 09:35 am
Tellme - I am already stock on boring part of the book Rolling Eyes and I am so bored - that I don't even remember where is the book, I do know is on my apartment and on a bookshelf. Embarrassed

I am trying not to start any other book before finishing it but is hard to get to it. Confused

All the specifications - * ; ‡ ; † - are indeed getting on my nerves. Mad
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:46 am
just ordered this book from Amazon.com - this conversation has intrigued me.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
Well Onyx - I hope you have a better luck than I am having at the moment! Sad

I guessed I was expecting something else. Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:14 am
I'll tell you, the book is way better than the 1945 movie with Angela Lansbury.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:27 am
I can't get the movie on DVD - What's with that? Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:46 am
Hmm, I'm not sure Rayvatrap. I would have expected it to be on DVD. Some thought it was a classic, but I read the book first, and thought it sucked.
0 Replies