I have heartbreaking news about Bob Dylan.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Following Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" project in the UK, an idea for the creation of an American benefit single for African famine relief came from activist Harry Belafonte, who, along with fundraiser Ken Kragen, was instrumental in bringing the vision to reality. Several musicians were contacted by the pair, before Jackson and Richie were assigned the task of writing the song. The duo completed the writing of "We Are the World" seven weeks after the release of "Do They Know Its Christmas", and one night before the song's first recording session, on January 21, 1985. (The last recording session for the song was held on January 28, 1985.) The historic event brought together some of the most famous artists in the music industry at the time.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Following Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" project in the UK, an idea for the creation of an American benefit single for African famine relief came from activist Harry Belafonte, who, along with fundraiser Ken Kragen, was instrumental in bringing the vision to reality. Several musicians were contacted by the pair, before Jackson and Richie were assigned the task of writing the song. The duo completed the writing of "We Are the World" seven weeks after the release of "Do They Know Its Christmas", and one night before the song's first recording session, on January 21, 1985. (The last recording session for the song was held on January 28, 1985.) The historic event brought together some of the most famous artists in the music industry at the time.

Oh Edgar, I will not diminish the talent. People involved gave everything the had to contribute to the cause. I'm probably the only poster on A2k whose parents acually bought the LP Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall. It was brilliant,
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 02:29 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Well, everybody likes what they like. I know he has a ton of fans, but when I hear his voice all I can visualize is his scrawny Lycra encased legs, fish head sneakers and spazzing out to 'Tonight's the night" or 'Do you think I'm sexy' and my stomach starts to churn.

You should appreciate this.

roger

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 02:33 am
@izzythepush,
Dear Jesus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 03:46 am
I don't see how this is news--Zimmerman never could sing worth a ****, even in the beginning.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 04:39 am
@izzythepush,
Well, I woke up about 3:45AM, and now it's 4:50 AM so I'm not likely to nod off until 6:00 AM. This insomnia is driving me nuts. But, thank you Izzy, your video made me laugh.

And for Edgar, I know the cause was noble, I never meant to disparage the talent. For me it was an eye opener, there are so many talented singers and musicians around the globe, it pains me when great talent's record producers muck around with their amazing talent. But, pure talent doesn't pack stadiums, or generate iTunes sales. Show business is still business. I like to see musicians in smaller venues, but I guess those days are over, I am just a big music fan.

And lots and lots of different styles. My DVD collection has artists from the 30's and includes artists I discovered 3 minutes ago. I still have all my parents 78's, a huge collection of 45's plus all the later 33 and a third LP's. I'm just loving the tunes, everything from classical and every thing since then that time, I'm still buying music from every genre I can find (from artists I think are devine). I don't own any Rudy Valley.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 02:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Apropos, standup comedian Ben Elton (cowriter of Blackadder and the Young Ones) did a rant on Comic Relief in the later 80s where he mentions Dylan, as he mentions Dylan he asides to the audience "for the younger crowd - you know Bob Dylan - he's the old geezer who can't sing at the end of the 'We Are The World' video."
glitterbag

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:07 pm
@hingehead,
Several years ago, in one of the worst marketing ideas EVER, Victoria Secrets ran an on air commercial with beautiful young women wearing lingerie and walked around with big feathery wings on their backs (think of semi-nude angels). The model part wasn't the disaster, as they walked around thru puffy clouds (I think) suddenly you see Dylan standing among all the angels. I'm guessing whoever thought that was a great idea is now in a different line of work.
FBM

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:54 am
@glitterbag,
Gotta figure he's richer than god by now. I guess he can afford to live in a fantasy world.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 11:42 pm
@FBM,
I don't think it was a problem for Dylan, he would be paid. He probably was convinced this was a good idea, but Dylan with the messy hair and beard looked like an old geezer hanging around his peers grand daughters. I hate to pick on Dylan, love lots of his early stuff, he's produced a lot of good music, especially when he didn't sing. Victorias Secrets also had Dennis Miller play that part, he's younger than Dylan, but it still was disturbing seeing his scrawny butt on screen with the winged wonder bra wearing, beautiful young winged women. It still reeked a little of creepy older guy.
FBM

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 11:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Laughing I guess it's bound to look pervy when you line up a dad-aged or grandad-aged, wrinkled old guy next to 20-something models.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:16 am
@FBM,
I don't know what they were thinking. I'm betting the models didn't know who he is, they could had propped up Lawrence Welk and it would still be a creepy image.

I don't care that young women look good in lingerie, my husband thought I was the sun and stars many years back, but it George Burns showed up in his toupee and cigar back then, we would have asked him to get Gracie and tell us jokes.

But let's get back to Dylan singing Sinatra, any other paring of singers, or modern voices singing 'the standards'. How about Prince doing Fred Astaire? Any suggestions from the A2K wizards.
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:36 am
@glitterbag,
Oy vey as mir. What a colossal mess. This is coming from a fan of Dylan too.

Sinatra standards? Are you serious? What - like he has a crooner's voice? Seriously?
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:39 am
Like playing Handel's Messiah on bagpipes.
roger

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 01:42 am
@FBM,
I'm stealing that for future use. I'm also waiting on an opportunity to say that tattoos on a good looking woman are like slapping a bumper sticker on a Ferrari
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 01:56 am
@roger,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/cheers.gif
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 02:26 am
@Ragman,
I actually responded, and posted but it totally disappeared. Now I'm too tired to remember what I wrote.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 03:29 am
Ah reckin the times, they are a' changin'.

Sorry. I'll go away now.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 05:18 pm
@FBM,
I just saw a clip with Keith Richards singing a duet with Nora Jones. Ummmm?

"Love Hurts"
glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 06:04 pm
@Ragman,
Does anybody remember when Pat Boone covered Led Zeppelin?? He was dressed like he was headed to a leather bar and sang "Stairway to heaven".