Don't you think THIS planet should be fixed before terraforming others?

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 09:10 pm
It irks me that some scientists think terraforming Mars or further planets (as in Interstellar) is a good idea, yet if allowed to do that, they might ruin the one chance there is to do it right. Don't you think if they were so smart and capable they could solve Earth's problems first?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,047 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 09:22 pm
The movie bothered me for the same reason. Its point seems to be that we don't have to worry, because humans will find a way even after the earth becomes unlivable.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:30 am
@Banana Breath,
Personally I'd prefer the first terraforming experiments weren't tried on the only planet we've found so far that supports life as we know it.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:41 am
@Banana Breath,
If humans were removed from the equation, earth would certainly have a lot more shrubbery pretty quickly.

As long as we could somehow colour co-ordinate the flowering continents before we left, the whole ensemble could work rather well.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:24 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
I'd prefer the first terraforming experiments weren't tried on the only planet we've found so far that supports life as we know it.

Sure, but for better or worse, there's a huge one already underway.
hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:48 pm
@Banana Breath,
Calling what we're doing to this planet an 'experiment' is way too kind.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:23 pm
@hingehead,
If only there were a control group so we could all move there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 05:16 pm
i watched a ted talk recently where a guy talked about a game I've played - find one interesting fact you didn't know in an encyclopedia and then use some tenuous link from that to another entry and so on.

Anyway one of his interesting facts was that if you shrank the earth down to billiard ball size it would be smoother than a billiard ball. Life on earth is incredibly 'thin skinned'.
0 Replies

Poseidon384

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:41 pm
@Banana Breath,
You see, the reason they would need to terraform a planet is because of what we are doing to Earth. If our home-planet were to be polluted to a point where life couldnt exist there, then we could just move somewhere else and learn from our mistakes. We were probably meant to leave Earth anyway. Or it is like on "Intersteller." We aren't meant to leave Earth, but we are meant to do something even greater. It will doubtedly be becoming fifth-dimensional beings, but something great.
Kolyo

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:03 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

You see, the reason they would need to terraform a planet is because of what we are doing to Earth. If our home-planet were to be polluted to a point where life couldnt exist there, then we could just move somewhere else and learn from our mistakes.

But if we could terraform another planet, why couldn't we just as easily fix Earth?
Banana Breath

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:36 pm
@Kolyo,
There's no need to learn from your mistakes if you just keep moving to other planets. For instance, if you ruin engines and clutches in cars but your dad keeps buying you new ones at the first sign of trouble, what incentive would you have for learning about how to better care for the cars so they wouldn't fail so soon? However in Cuba once they knew they couldn't get any more American cars, they learned to keep theirs running decade after decade.
http://i58.tinypic.com/ff0ope.jpg
0 Replies