Co-worker taking advantage (aka am I a sap)?

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:05 pm
I work within a team that provides a service to an outside client. This is a highly regulated area with tight deadlines due to these regulations.

Each cycle we are assigned various deliverables - pretty much the same sort of deliverables across the board. Any way - this is a particularly busy cycle. If we find someone is falling behind because of unforeseen issues (which happens all the time) we try to help each other out so we can deliver as scheduled to our client.

One individual is not as helpful when someone cries for help. So any way - he is behind and has asked for help. Since I am working on one piece of one of his assignments, I said I would do all of it so he could focus on the problem area. Guess what he just left work right on time. I am just pulling together his work --- am I sap?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 387 • Replies: 10

roger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:07 pm
@Linkat,
Not if you learn from experience.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:16 pm
@roger,
Nope - he ain't getting my help any more.

We have had discussions with our VP - the thing is we aren't kids out of college these are higher level positions and the focus should be quality timely to client.

And I am not the only one complaining. I was told not to pick up anything else of his from my boss - this one particular item has my name at least partially so was the reason I offered - I don't like my stuff being late or of not high quality (unless I mess it up myself).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:38 pm
@Linkat,
IMHO you're not a sap at all your boss knows what you are doing for the team. You work for the company and your boss knows about your level of effort and his.
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:19 pm
@Ragman,
I with Ragman. You are delivering for the team and the slacker is not getting away with anything. Good job all the way around.
Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 07:06 am
@engineer,
Thanks - there was one other item that should have gone out last night - that I forgot about - not a big deal as it is internal and will still meet our ultimate deadline - anyway after I send it, I will forward it back to him making it clear he is the one responsible for carrying it forward at this point.

He is somewhat new to the group and it isn't just me that he takes advantage of -- he will attend these 2 hour meetings while another individual involved with this meeting is stuck behind covering his stuff so he can attend - he was supposed to deliver something else yesterday and told this guy - oh you can go ahead and send it out, I will cover for you in the meeting - basically he is passing the buck.

And yes my boss really doesn't care much for him - we kinda got stuck with him as we needed more people in the group and this was what we got - her boss'pet.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:16 am
Agreeing with the others.

Everyone, including the boss, has his number.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 04:32 pm
@Linkat,
So flash forward one year and this same twerp is trying to advantage again.

Sends out an email last week saying I have blah and blah due today - could someone help me. This is a busy time of year for us (actually we just got over the hump so I have some time)... any way I probably could have helped - I had lots of stuff to do, but only one big thing due that day. I resisted the temptation to help out. Also, I knew that the workload although heavy was definitely do-able in a day.

Now if it was someone else requested this help I would have offered. And not to mention I did not see/hear him working late or asking to help others while they had several things in one day. And others working late into the evening and on weekends even from home and so forth.

So was he really that swamped - he left at 5 - the rest of us were all still working so imagine if someone offered to help (and I don't know if anyone did - I doubt it ) and he wanders off. Now I often times go home and then log on later - but he was not on the computer.

Ha - I didn't fall for it this year. I am no longer a sap.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 04:43 pm
You sapless person, you! (sending you some virtual maple syrup.)

seems like there is someone in the ether who is protecting this person. Maybe I missed that on of the earlier posts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 09:57 pm
@Linkat,
So, you learned from experience.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:40 am
@roger,
Yeah who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Co-worker taking advantage (aka am I a sap)?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/14/2024 at 02:25:58