The Fabulous, Mysterious Drom: A CELEBRATION!!

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:23 pm
You should, Sofia! Everyone to whom I've recommended it has loved it; quite a lot chose it as their favourite book.. but the worst thing to do, I feel, is rush-read. What do you think is the best book that you've read so far?

I'm quite the opposite; I remember all the stupid little things and don't get the joy of the first read ever again. I wonder which is worse?

As for contemporary; do you mean writing Now, or writing within the last, say, forty years?

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:26 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Thank you, Letty.

This thread is, more than not, being used by Sofia to show that someone else's name can be bandied about; but I'm here, writing, anyway.

Well, actually not, dear. It came up in fun, and you were so sweet to agree to the prospect-- I was sincere about my appreciation of your writing, and knew (obviously) precious little about you.

Thank you for sharing about yourself. I did want that other thread to drop--but it has been time well spent for me.

The thread will be here for anyone wanting to visit you. I know I'll be back periodically. You are fascinating!! A great resource for A2K!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 4000TH, DROM!!!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:30 pm
Drom-- Favorite of who is writing now, or the last 20 years.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Thank you a lot, Sofia; relying on what I've seen of you when we crossed, I feel the same of you too. As for my comments, they were due to my being unused to posting about myself-- which is why a considerable number of A2Kers thought me a man-- but I enjoy the idea, and I'm glad that you went a long with it Very Happy. I do have plenty of things to say, I guess, which can be good or bad, depending on your opinion!

And thanks... it seems as though I found the place yesterday. I do hope that all you out there don't drop off here unexpectedly in the years to come. May we all carry on together.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:40 pm
To tell you the truth, I'm more into books that have aged a bit. My English teacher back when I was doing A-levels completely disagreed with me; but I find that, if something's good enough, it will still be good in forty years.

I like Edward Albee's plays, and Miller... as for fiction, I love Ishiguro, despite some of his novels being sprawling. I think that you should try to say what you wish within about 400 pages, for some reason.... I loved Nabokov and Calvino. when they were alive. As for poetry, I like Simon Armitage, though he's not my favourite poet, and his work unfortunately is seeming to be deteriorating; I think that decay like that is really sad. Our paths have crossed quite often; the last time that we met was in the middle of the awful shopping centre, and we talked for about twenty minutes about everything; which is weird, a little, because of a reason that I can't explain due to its being 2.38 am over here!

Perhaps I should read more modern books; there's just so many awful books to wade through...

0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:45 pm
colorbook wrote:
It took me a while before I realized drom was a she.

Me too, I found out the hard way.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:48 pm
There are so many dodgy connotations to finding me a woman through 'the hard way....' Very Happy

0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:53 pm
I know. Tee hee, I said 'know'. Good thing you are a good sport. Tee hee, I said 'sport'.

Sorry, obscure Biblical humor is just not funny but I'm undeterred by unfunny.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:56 pm
I got that sport reference Wink, thanks to trying to get the fun out of thirteen years of religious education!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:13 pm
And we ALL got the "know" references.

Drom - I confess I did not know you were a writer, though I knew you were a reader.

I fear I am with you in preferring older books.

Sigh.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:28 pm
I thought that you were more toward older books, Deb; well, many people I know say 'a new book comes and goes; but a classic you can read whenever,' and they use this in favour of new books; but I see the opposite... I once set up a book group to read older books together, rather than pick at them... hardly any one turned up.

As for writing; I've written since a young age; I found it really sad to let people, and places, and memories, and thoughts slip: so, at first, I thought writing a form to keep such things forever. When I got older, I wanted to write something completely different, but not experimental to the point of total exclusion...

I wrote a lot of poems when I was younger too, which were-- surprisingly-- not angstisch, because I was brought up to rely on no one but myself. My first poems were atrocious, and I got rid of them quickly, but they got better. Unfortunately, when I was about seventeen, my mother burnt all that I had written when I was out acting one night: more than 4,000 pages of work. She never gave any reason to me, but it was to defer me from writing; it never worked.

I don't write full time, at the moment; the reason that I'm not on A2K 23-hours a day is because I'm a Reader at a University over here... but I have a year-and-thirteen-weeks hiatus from my job, commencing June, and I'm leaving England to live in Armenia, taking friends and friends of friends in and writing... (and, of course, getting more time here.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:40 pm
wanders off to find out where Armenia is.......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:50 pm
Drom

The more you tell, the more impressed I am! I like the way you live your life. Good for you! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 02:58 am
Drom - yer driving me nuts cos you haven't answered - is your avatar Emily Bronte?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:05 am
I'll answer that, D, as Drom seems not to be around .... Yes, it is Emily. I asked about her avatar on another thread.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:07 am
Am I the only one who knew drom was a woman from the get-go?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:10 am
Seems that way, Cav. How did you know?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:12 am
The literature preferences and poetry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:14 am
Hmm, and an instinct.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:15 am
!!!!

well, I knew - or, at least always believed - but I have no idea why...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:27:43