The Fabulous, Mysterious Drom: A CELEBRATION!!

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:00 pm
How did I miss our wonderful Drom all this time? The writing has been so enjoyable, the intellect has dazzled--and all this time I had no idea Drom was a she.

We pass one another on all types of threads, and sometimes miss important facts--and sex parts.

This thread is to celebrate Drom, her clitoris, her valuable contributions.
Please enter Drom's Housewarming Party.

(Um, she is asleep presently--but will return tomorrow. Please don't wreck the house.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,250 • Replies: 48
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:18 pm
Why, thank you, Sofia! I am very flattered by this celebrating me.

I have insomnia, so I'll be online for longer than I had expected...

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:23 pm
YAY!!!

Tell us, dear, do you write professionally or journal? Your contributions have been very enjoyable.

Can you tell a bit about yourself?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:26 pm
Wow! What a welcome!

I have had one book published down in Buenos Aires, and I'm attacking the English poetry scene this November. I had a feminist manifesto banded around in England, too, which caused Martin Amis to want to kill me.

Is there anything in particular that you'd like to know about me, Sofia? General background to start with?

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:30 pm
Intrigued, Sofia wanted to know EVERYTHING!!!

What sort of book? Feminist manifesto? Did this Amis fellow threaten you?

PEOPLE: SEE WHAT WE HAVE MISSED?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:34 pm
Actually, drom had already talked about that.

Interesting, though, to be sure.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:36 pm
Laughing

Well, we had better choose a starting point in my life, I guess!

The book was mostly a justification of why the need for feminism had not expired; but in a more literary, than scientific, way. It is more boring in synopsis than my novels, I admit. (O, by the way, I do keep a journal... last month, I wrote over 210 pages; but I prefer to concentrate on other people around me in it.) Anyway, this manifesto, if you like, also included notes on the portrayal of women in literature, in which I, in a balanced way, criticised Martin Amis, son of the vastly better Kingsley Amis. Instead of taking criticism as he should, Amis-- who still expected the adulation he had in the eighties-- wrote a very abusive letter claiming the most ridiculous things, and he said that he was going to have it published, too. I found the whole thing amusing, to be honest!

0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:38 pm
It took me a while before I realized drom was a she.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:40 pm
As for the book, it was about this rather perverted Catalan guy called Joan, who thinks that he's the next best thing, and his 'friend' and agent who wants to destroy Joan before Joan destroys the life of his best friend, whom Joan thinks he can make 'fall' to be his victim. The book flits from the preposterous Biography that the 'friend' wrote, to the letters of the friend, and to the aftermath 10 years' later.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:41 pm
colorbook wrote:
It took me a while before I realized drom was a she.

Who wrote that I'm a man?

But, anyway, I guess that I don't give much away...

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:43 pm
Good heavens!

What a forceful life! Sincerely, I had missed the entries soz mentioned, and I'm so glad to have asked.

I have to cop to ignorance of the Amis', but now, so curious about your work, I'll poke around. What would you say is your favorite portrayal of a woman in fiction? If that's an impossible question--would you name a couple?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:49 pm
I would choose la Marquise de Merteuil from Les liaisons dangereuses, (which was later made into 'Cruel Intentions,) not only due to the complexities of her character and the convincingness of her portrayal, but also due to the fact that she defied the only two roles really available to women at that time and earlier (the 18th Century.) How about you?

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:55 pm
You would hate mine. Typical confused heroine, with stereotypical traits.

Bathsheba in Far From the Madding Crowd. She did have her strong points, but nothing like the Marquise.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:57 pm
She's better than some; like those of DH Lawrence..

(O, so you've read Dangerous Liaisons, by the way?)

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:01 pm
Just a smile and a bit of delight.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:04 pm
Thank you, Letty.

This thread is, more than not, being used by Sofia to show that someone else's name can be bandied about; but I'm here, writing, anyway.

0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:09 pm
Fascinating, Drom. I admit I voted "No".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:10 pm
The Pied Piper of Hamlin. Must eat now.

Love you folks.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:10 pm
No, re Dangerous Liasons. Haven't read nearly what I would like to.

I should get around to it. Just saw the movie, but I assume the characterization isn't too far from the book.

I did love Sons and Lovers. I remeber trying to wade through Rainbow, and I know I read Lady Chatterley in high school, but couldn't remember specifics if you put a gun to my head.

Used to read a lot--but my memory is so horrid, I have forgotten so much.

What contemporary writers do you like?

(Re me thinking you were a man--nobody had said that--I usually assign without much thought, when I don't know. Can't imagine why I thought it.)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:15 pm
No one's voted 'no;' though one person has claimed that I actually am Not a woman. Anyway, if you have any more questions before I get back to my mysterious ways, shoot ahead.

And, what a coincidence; this is my 4,000th post. I'd just like to thank quite many people from around here for making A2K what it is. As posts like this show; it's not one person that makes a site like this so warm and so interesting; it's hundreds of them.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Fabulous, Mysterious Drom: A CELEBRATION!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:59:10