Mon 20 Oct, 2014 08:21 am
How can I get my kid to read more books instead of playing on his tablet all day?

Ragman

Mon 20 Oct, 2014 08:35 am
@NaomiJShaw,
Take it away from him or her and offer a reward for their good habit of reading. Give the child a positive reinforcement. When the child starts reading regularly the child gets the tablet back for limited amounts of time per day.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Mon 20 Oct, 2014 10:03 am
@NaomiJShaw,
Kids imitate parents quite unconsciously. If he sees you with a book on a regular basis, he'll start thinking there's something worth looking into.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 20 Oct, 2014 02:10 pm
@NaomiJShaw,
Remove or lock the games on the tablet and download some books for him to read on the tablet.

For every two books he reads, unlock a game. You'll have to converse with him about the books to confirm he's reading them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 21 Oct, 2014 03:48 am
@NaomiJShaw,
Boys tend to prefer non fiction. Find out what interests him. These books are very popular over here.
http://images.scholastic.co.uk/assets/a/de/56/wallpaper-group-ns-718763.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 21 Oct, 2014 09:55 pm
@NaomiJShaw,
Quote:
How can I get my kid to read more books instead of playing on his tablet all day?

Try taking your child on a weekly trip to the public library. Talk to him beforehand about the sort of stories or topics he likes to read about and help him find some that can be finished within a week. Better to take out too few than too many at first, so there is something to look forward to getting on the next trip. And let your child see you taking out a book for yourself that you'll also read during the week.

Make going to the library weekly a special sort of outing--stop for ice cream, or pizza, or lunch afterward. If you don't already have them, make a big deal about the two of you getting library cards.

Once reading becomes more of a habit, you can also allow the child to pick out a movie at the library to watch during the week as well, since that will also help to cut down on the time spent playing games on the tablet.
0 Replies

MattWSpanjer

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 08:12 am
@NaomiJShaw,
Well considerably he is reading. Just not the text on paper issue you are so used to. See, I do most of my reading here on this IPad all day long. But I have my collection of print, dating back to the mid 1800s. Yeah I'm pretty boring...

And by the way, why not tell him he needs to stick his nose in a book one hour for every two he spends on the tab? That may work.
Hope this helped Smile
0 Replies

Harty

Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:30 am
rewarding technique is a good start. try to reward them every book they finished. then, make a play, according to the book they read.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 02:42 am
@NaomiJShaw,
Hi NaomiJShaw,
You should try to develop interest in reading by offering some interesting books to your kid like short stories in which some characters are shown, because characters attract kids. Once your kid develop interest in reading it will be good.
0 Replies

samson25

Thu 2 Jul, 2015 03:00 am
You should give him an interest of reading a book, I guess.
0 Replies

Hanerykroze

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 04:16 am
@NaomiJShaw,
You should take away the tablet from him and delete all the games. Spend some time with him and tell him the non fiction stories. When he shows some interest in your stories then handover some books to him.
0 Replies

ghudson621

Tue 5 Jul, 2016 04:48 am
@NaomiJShaw,
Read books to your child. Don't give importance to your phone or tab in front of the kid. Offer rewards as someone said Smile
0 Replies