McGurk effect

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:38 am
Ever hear of it? Me neither...it freaks me out though. It is a good example of brain weirdness though. Check it out here. **Need quicktime 5 to view movie**

Quote:
What am I saying? Play the clip several times, alternating between looking at the talking head while listening, and listening with your eyes shut. Most adults (98%) think they are hearing "DA" - a so called "fused respons" - where the "D" is a result of an audio-visual illusion. In reality you are hearing the sound "BA", while you are seing the lip movements "GA".

The "McGurk effect" was first described by Harry McGurk and John MacDonald in "Hearing lips and seeing voices", Nature 264, 746-748 (1976).

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 4
No top replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:18 am
Wow that is pretty cool...

So b + g = d huh?

I'll put my spin on it, lol, boys plus girls equals divinity...far fetched I don't care...

Here's something sort of similar, right brain left brain stuff...

Make a circle with your right foot, clockwise, while seated...and then make the number 6 in the air with your right hand...

Supposedly your foot will involuntarily begin going the opposite way...I can sort of tell...it's hard to be honest about that stuff, I THINK I can keep the foot going clockwise...

Trying to reconcile opposites...it's fun...it's life..it's hell.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:22 am
Re: McGurk effect
McGentrix wrote:
Ever hear of it? Me neither...it freaks me out though. It is a good example of brain weirdness though. Check it out here. **Need quicktime 5 to view movie**

Never heard of it before. Pretty neat though. I fall right into the 98% and hear DA when watching, and BA when listening. It's like pattern recognition when looking at random shapes (like clouds), the brain is trying to resolve a conflicting signal and results in an "approximation". It's no wonder people have a hard time communicating sometimes.
0 Replies

emchugh4

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 09:35 am
That was pretty interesting. In the 98% I am!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:06 am
Da-Ba-Ga yah?
0 Replies