Is it illegal to DDoS an illegal website?

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 08:24 pm
Hi I was recently DOXed, DDoS'd, and harassed by a "hacking group". They're more of a bunch of pre-teens with stress testers. The kids use a chat on their site to coordinate DDoS, dox, and swatting against people who livestream on Twitch. Their website itself hosts illegal tools, public DOX and tutorials on how to do things such as DOXing, DDoSing, and other illegal activities. I recently opened their chat and they were coordinating a DDoS attack on a Twitch streamer aswell as a public DOX release. I DDoS'd their site to take it offline. Honestly I'm not scared about any legal reprocussions but just out of curiosity is it illegal? It is illegal to DDoS but would it be justified if it was to defend them from DDoSing and DOXing someone? I mean if someone defended someone else from being attacked they wouldn't get charged if they hurt the attacker.

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 08:26 pm
@XenonTech,
Talk to a lawyer if you want a definitive answer but do you seriously think a judge and jury are going to give a damn about you using illegal methods on whoever? Stealing from thieves is still illegal, you know.
XenonTech

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 08:31 pm
@jespah,
You're completely correct on this.

Don't you think most judges would understand? They are using the website to host illegal content aswell as coordinate illegal activities.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 08:53 pm
@XenonTech,
Report it to the authorities and provide whatever evidence you have to help prosecute them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 06:32 am
@XenonTech,
No, they won't. People who kill mass murderers are still prosecuted, unless it's in self-defense or as a part of a state-sanctioned execution.

They. Do. No. Care.

Go to the cops. Don't act like a cyber vigilante.
0 Replies