Cardinal's Nest...Did Babies Fly Away?

tbird

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:36 pm
I don't know much about birds, so any info would be appreciated. My husband and I found a cardinal's nest in a low bush by our front door. Two eggs hatched about 10 days ago and we had been watching the babies grow...their eyes were open and they seemed to have full wings yesterday. This morning the nest was empty and the branches around the nest were broken. We think a neighborhood cat was after the birds. We are very sad, but I'm still wondering if maybe they flew away? Is it possible that the birds got scared and tried to fly? It would have been their first time out of the nest. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,671 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:42 pm
Crying or Very sad 'fraid not tbird, it takes about five to six weeks after the chicks hatch for them to fledge (try to fly). Cats don't play fair with birds in bushes. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:53 pm
I'm so sorry :-(
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:24 pm
Oh no not another one!

There have been a lot of these threads.

Maybe we should start some kind of support group.

(Been there myself.)
0 Replies

tbird

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:34 pm
We tried putting some sharp plant cuttings around the bush early on to keep the cats away, but the nest was so low (only about four feet off the ground). I wonder if there was anything else we could have done to help protect the nest?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:17 am
Outside of putting a fence around it, I can't see how there was anything you could do :-(
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:49 am
Yeah, Montana's right. This is the circle of life. The birds that are smart enough to put their nest out of harm's way make baby birds. The parents who lost their clutch will probably try again this year, they may also have learned a lesson about nest building, so may try to put it up in the eaves of the house or high up in a tree.

Watch for them.

Joe
0 Replies

tbird

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:58 am
I will definitely keep an eye out for more nests. Thank you all for the feedback.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:12 pm
Aww, that is sad. I love Cardinals. We get them here too, and I love their mating call.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 03:05 pm
If you're clever with tools, you might mount some nesting shelves on your house, 6-8 feet from the ground, behind the shrubbery--far enough behind that you aren't providing a ladder to the nest.

Birdhouses appeal to cavity nesting birds, but not all birds like to be enclosed.
0 Replies