Help with punctuation

jekkler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 05:54 pm
How should "and" be treated? This is for an upper division anthropology paper.

Research on the Agta incites the questions: If a society attains equal means to economic factors and low division of labor between sexes, will gender stratification be perceived as fair? How much does ideology influence sex roles beyond the means to subsistence? and, What is the parallel between the foraging Agta and modern American society?

or Research on the Agta incites the questions: If a society attains equal means to economic factors and low division of labor between sexes, will gender stratification be perceived as fair? How much does ideology influence sex roles beyond the means to subsistence? And, what is the parallel between the foraging Agta and modern American society?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 548 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jekkler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 06:34 pm
@jekkler,
I have a feeling I'm in a grey area where both could be considered acceptable, and it's a matter of aesthetics.
jespah

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 06:43 pm
@jekkler,
No, it's not. You start a new sentence with a capital letter, nearly all the time (about the only exception I can think of is either a company or person's name does not start with a capital letter, or you're quoting an e. e. cummings poem).
jekkler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 06:47 pm
@jespah,
You know of any floating conjunction type rule in a list of questions? Just checking because language changes daily.
jespah

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 07:25 pm
@jekkler,
That's different (if I'm understanding you correctly). Are you looking at something like this?

• Question 1
  • Question 2 and
  • Question 3

Because if you are then capitalizing and doesn't matter. But the way you have presented matters in the original post just looks like sentences. BTW, it's usually frowned upon (although not specifically wrong) to start sentences with conjunctions (which I have done, above). Generally, they're used for added emphasis or drama, so if you overdo it, it's a bit like you're shouting all the time.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 09:07 pm
@jekkler,
Agree w/Jek in #...609 above
0 Replies