No top replies

One Eyed Mind

Sun 14 Sep, 2014 02:27 pm
Can we avoid Politics?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sun 14 Sep, 2014 04:22 pm
@akbarjd,
Ak, since nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else I'd reply no you can't, we engage in it every day
0 Replies

fresco

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 12:11 am
@akbarjd,
Smile
You (or your teacher) asks a metaphysical question !
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 12:13 am
Answer my questions, my minions.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:17 am
@akbarjd,
akbarjd wrote:

Can we avoid Metaphysics?

Yes. Just turn right onto the A34, just before you come into Winchester High Street.
fresco

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 03:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
Shocked
I thought the A34 ended well before the High Street, at Easton Lane in fact
...another metaphysical issue surely !
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 03:33 am
Everyone who engages in polite conversation avoids metaphysics. You wouldn't discuss the grisly details of an ax murder in polite company, so why would anyone with even an ounce of consideration discuss metaphysics?
fresco

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 03:53 am
@Setanta,
This looks like a philosophy assignment in which an understanding of the term "metaphysics " is the issue. Such a context would delimit the meaning of the word "we" to "aspiring philosophers". Polite conversation is another ball-game.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 06:15 am
@Lordyaswas,
Winchester High Street is paved over, pedestrian only.
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/13504484.jpg
Lordyaswas

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 06:29 am
@izzythepush,
That's what it's called in layman's terms, but in technical terms it's been metaphysicallised.
Didn't you see the campaign posters when it was first proposed?

My aunt Doris had a poster in her window with the slogan:
"Stop the Concreted, Regular and Irregular Rectangular Metaphysicallisation of Winchester"

It was reckoned that the wordy nature of that slogan directly led to the campaign losing the fight.
fresco

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
Oh that Doris, not Doris Heidegger !
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:36 am
@akbarjd,
akbarjd wrote:

Can we avoid Metaphysics?

Yes. You can avoid metaphysics by majoring in college in any other subject then the bloody philosophy major.
One Eyed Mind

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
What do you have against the metaphysical world that created your physical body that spends more time doing nothing than something?
roger

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
It worked. I've avoided metaphysics for most of my life.
One Eyed Mind

Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:13 pm
@roger,
You have avoided much more than metaphysics most of your life. Metaphysics is just one of the many things you've neglected and taken for granted.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 09:41 am
@One Eyed Mind,
One Eyed Mind wrote:

What do you have against the metaphysical world that created your physical body that spends more time doing nothing than something?

I don't have an opinion either way about the existence or nonexistence of the metaphysical world. I just find a lot of philosophy majors and former philosophy students to be pretentious and really bloody annoying windbags.
One Eyed Mind

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 08:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, I agree. So do I. They are wannabe philosophers using watered down versions of principles. It's really laughable, honestly.

That is why I stayed away from arm-chair philosophers and created an entire ideological system made from scratch.

And yes, I know your inference was directed towards me. But see how many fucks I give about someone who does not think, but reacts.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:51 am
@akbarjd,
Not according to Godel incompletness.
0 Replies

True Philosopher

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:21 pm
Metaphysics, meaning 'after physics', is a contemplative/expressive way of discussing the Nature of Reality. All scientist and philosophers before the atheists belief system bullied its way into controlling these fields of knowing, were Metaphysicist. They knew there were places science could not go and used reason and logic to get their minds to go there instead. A true Metaphysicist does not allow dogma of belief systems to hinder their minds in contemplating about the Nature of the Universe. This is why Materialist belittle Metaphysicist, cause their atheists beliefs dominate their reason and logic. Reason and logic should dominate ones mind, not preconceived dogmatic notions.