Sluggishness, lethargy

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 01:13 pm
Have you had personal experience with any over-the-counter meds for lethargy

Thanks all

roger

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 02:26 pm
@dalehileman,
Not since they took ephedra off the market.
dalehileman

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 04:15 pm
@roger,
Thanks Rog

Incidentally a quick Googling gives the impression that unlike mood med for instance there aren't a whole lot of such products
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 04:20 pm
Hi guys, my name is Pill. I am here to help you, like a teenager that drops their phone; while attempting to catch it, they manage to kick it into a wall! But don't worry, it's not totally broken! I still saved you - I just gave you a thousand more problems to deal with.

Source: "Auto-Biography of Pill".
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Vitamin B complex supplements.
CalamityJane

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, precisely B-12
luismtzzz

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 02:49 am
@dalehileman,
Lethargy is a very inespecific symptom that should be evaluated appropiatedly. B suplements are commonly used for this, although there is no clinical poof that they actually work unless there is a b12 deficit (extremely rare, b12 reserves can take 2 years end) or as placebo.

Best shot, make an appointment and get your body checked.
dalehileman

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 09:59 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Yes, precisely B-12
Thanks But, Jane, Louie. This conforms to the response of my Better Half, who is also much smarter than I

…and so far seems to confirm my observation that there must be very few such products
Butrflynet

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 10:11 am
@dalehileman,
There are 7,500 of them on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vitamin%20b12%20supplement
dalehileman

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 12:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
There are 7,500 of them...
Thanks But, but I meant different kinds of products especially applicable to lethargy

In this connection my Better Half, who as I mentioned is much smarter than I, as are you all, that my apparent lethargy might be a side effect of meds taken for anxiety, eg 5-HTP, St John's wort, kava kava, ginseng

So wondering if anyone else might have had similar experience

Thanks again all
cicerone imposter

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 01:01 pm
I think it's not only about pills, but the body's need for exercise and good diet.

Vit D and B12 are good supplements.
dalehileman

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 01:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
….but the body's need for exercise….
Yea Cis. Alas alack
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 03:42 pm
@dalehileman,
We can't answer that for you. The interaction of vitamins, supplements and pharmaceuticals is mostly individual and based on the person's health status.

As has been said many many, too many, times to you, get an overall evaluation of your medications from professionals who will also get a comprehensive health history from you.

I've already made two recommendations to you, a pharmacist or herbal supplement vendor. Chai has suggested a nutritionist.

It isn't a matter of saving money, it is about improving your quality of life for whatever time you have left. Medicare will cover your costs to go see your doctor about it.

My mom had similar things going on with her when I first moved in to care for her. One of the first things I did was take all her medications and supplements to her pharmacist and her primary care physician. It turned out she was being over medicated with several blood pressure medications and she was taking too many acetaminophen based OTC and prescription meds. Her energy levels and overall well being immediately improved.

Someone in your family needs to take charge and do the same for you. Please, again, ask them to assist you in getting this done.
dalehileman

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 04:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you But for your concern but still hoping to hear from others with personal experience
ossobuco

Sun 7 Sep, 2014 04:12 pm
@dalehileman,
My personal experience is that Butrflynet and Chai and others are correct on this. You need a complete review of the meds you are self prescribing and your general health issues. I don't care (well, actually I do) if you go to a witch doctor for it, but I'd, at your and my approaching age, see an internist for a once over and a nutritionist. If you refuse an internist, then a well recommended general practioner m.d. Stop whining around.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 8 Sep, 2014 10:08 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I've already made two recommendations……..Chai has suggested a nutritionist.
Again thanks fellas but you have to understand an old guy who remains skeptical of The Establishment. I wonder for instance how many of us suffering continual anxiety or lethargy spend $200 a week for an hour at your Friendly Local Psychiatrist's office when the trouble lies with an excess or shortage of some trace body chemical easily corrected for a few cents a day
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Sep, 2014 12:26 pm
@dalehileman,
It's always good to be skeptical of the "establishment," but it would depend on the seriousness and immediacy of the problem. When it comes to physical and mental health issues, I believe it's one of the individual's most important issues to seek any solution by professionals. Even then, skepticism is called for.
One Eyed Mind

Mon 8 Sep, 2014 12:33 pm
@dalehileman,
Perhaps you should worry less about why, instead consider what lead to the existence of why.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 8 Sep, 2014 01:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
….seek any solution by professionals. Even then, skepticism is called for.
Thanks Cis but that sounds almost contradictory
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Sep, 2014 01:17 pm
@dalehileman,
No, it really isn't; even professionals suggest getting a "second opinion."

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/Getting-a-Second-Medical-Opinion_UCM_434325_Article.jsp
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sluggishness, lethargy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:49:31