Three dimensional visualization test

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:36 pm
Next piece of bad news.... I can't find the solution online Sad

The article referred to http://physicsweb.org and they have a web site, but it doesn't seem to have the article by Eric Voice.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:37 pm
er, excuse me....

over here;

yes behind that big potted fern!

i did it!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:38 pm
You turned an innertube inside out?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:38 pm
That's a brutal geek-tease, rosborne.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:40 pm
I found an answer, but I'm not sure it's authoritative: http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/klein2.html

Don't look unless you're tired of giving yourself a headache.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:49 pm
One that I find easier to read (pdf format).

http://www.heartofmath.com/pdfs/pg331.pdf

In the interest of preserving the mystery, I will neither gloat (aha!) or lament (huh...).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:53 pm
Interesting.

That's some careful stretching and deforming.

Yeah, I'd say it's some of each. (You're a better man than I...)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:06 pm
i must admit that i find it unnerving that people would rather continue to search for 'evidence' on the internet; while ignoring the real thing actually performed for them in 'real time', real space' or whatever non virtual term you would like to use!!!??? Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:09 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
i must admit that i find it unnerving that people would rather continue to search for 'evidence' on the internet; while ignoring the real thing actually performed for them in 'real time', real space' or whatever non virtual term you would like to use!!!??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I would like to do it in reality, but I don't have an inner tube. I do have an internet connection however, and the ability to visualize things when explained to me (though that ability has been somewhat humbled).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:11 pm
None of the above answers are correct. I cheated and made a tube out of a plastic bag. What you end up is with a tube with an opening on both ends.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:12 pm
nor have i got an inner tube, nor do i wanna buy one just to cut a hole in it. course, the neighbor does leave his bike sitting out on the porch...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:12 pm
I did it in reality. :-)

Hadda find out.

Sewed a tube out of some scrap material, tried to turn it inside out. Impossible -- for that item. It wasn't a large distortable inner tube, though, it was small (about 1 foot diameter) and non-distortable (cotton twill.)

BoGoWo, are you saying that you really did it with an innertube? If so, how big (the tube and the hole), and what method?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:18 pm
I've got one made from a newspaper sleeve, and am hving no luck with it (damn you, bogowo -- the woman of the house thinks I'm crazy now, again).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:20 pm
pd, Use a plastic bag. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:24 pm
patiodog wrote:
nor have i got an inner tube, nor do i wanna buy one just to cut a hole in it. course, the neighbor does leave his bike sitting out on the porch...

This is probably how it starts...

USA, Suburbs (AP) -- Authorities are at a loss to explain a sudden rash of random tire mutilations... local resident Edna Thornwhistle suspects aliens... film at 11.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:33 am
Re: Three dimensional visualization test
rosborne979 wrote:
Can you turn a tire's inner tube inside out through a hole in its wall?

If I were a theorist, I would approximate the tube as a torus, in which case my answer would be yes. As an experimental physicist though, I can't help noticing that the valve of an inverted tube would be pointing into its inside, leaving me with a tube that has a hole in it, but no way to pump it up. Duh. But if Sozobe's answer is still no in the torus approximation, I'm willing to take her up on it.

Here's the way I visualize it in the Torus approximiation. I stick my thumb and my index finger through the hole into the tube, which I imagine to be on the outside of the donut. I imagine that my fingers are very long, so I can reach all the way around the inside of the tube until the two fingers touch on the opposite end, fingers bending backward. I grab the inside -- call it the "donut hole" -- and pull it all out through the "nail hole". After I'm done, my fingers are now on the outside of the inverted torus. They're still touching each other's tips. The nail hole is now on the other side, near the point where the fingertips are touching each other, on the inside of the inverted donut.

Hard to describe, but the answer is yes, and I'm certain too. I think the key is to "feel" that what Sozobe called "the bottom er hard to describe part" really isn't a bottom, because you can reach all the way round on the inside of the tube..
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:48 am
Of course you can; the small and big torus circles get reversed though, as do the inner and outer surfaces. The circle that was the 'hole' in the doughnut now becomes the circle that is the 'outer radius' and vice versa.

The easiest to visualise this is by enlarging the hole until the hole is as big as the tube (minus a tiny strip), then extending the hole in a circular fashion until only a tiny strip of each circle remains, now turn the big circle inside out and stretch it , so the other fits inside, then shrink back the hole - and voila!

Relative
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:26 am
I cheat like hell.... and remember a diagram from one of Martin Gardner's Mathematical Recreations columns in Scientific American...

If you stretch the hole to the point of ridiculous, you get two joined rings of material. One going aroung the center of the torus, and one going around diameter of the circle that you rotated to get that torus.

Hey, I'm a geometer by profession...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:27 am
(Damn... relative's got it... that's what I get for not reading the 2nd page of posts before posting...)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:04 am
I understand that this was exactly the problem with Bush's bike, and the reason he fell off of it. Dang inside-out inner tubes....
0 Replies