Punctuation

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 11:01 pm
I am not sure if I am using the correct punctuation for the followings:

Sign-up, add the car to your garage, and place the order

We drive the car to the shop of your choice, or you can select one from the network

Thanks for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 676 • Replies: 4
No top replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 12:00 pm
@gbtsanjose,

More context (in explanation) is required, because the sentences sound a bit strange and are unclear to me.

But the punctuation is okay.
0 Replies

Normandchloe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 12:28 pm
@gbtsanjose,
It depends on what you mean by "add". Do you mean park? Are they subscribing to your service?

If you mean park and subscribe it would read:

Park your car. Sign up for our service and we deliver your car to the garage of your choice.

Or

Park your car. Enroll in our service and pick the car our your choice while yours is serviced.

I hope that helps.
0 Replies

gbtsanjose

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 12:41 pm
Thanks. The context is:
Our company drives the customer's car from location A to location B. The service can be booked online and "Garage" is the virtual garage where the user stores information about the car and places drive-away orders. I am not sure if it is appropriate in the forum to provide the URL of this service for additional clarity.

In this context, sentence 1.
==============
Sign-up, add the car to your garage, and place the order
==============

2nd sentence. After actions of sentence 1. the user places the order, and we drive the car from location A to location B

Sentence 2.
===============
We drive the car to the shop of your choice, or you can select one from the network
===============

Thanks!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 01:31 pm
Your explanation makes more sense out of the original sentences, but you still have some problems. If the customer already understand the concept of the "virtual garage," you would more likely say "the" garage, and not "your" garage. The use of the word shop is problematic, too. Shop is almost always used to mean an establishment which sells items, usually retail. In the United States, it can mean a place where automobiles are repaired, but then it will be specifically identified as an auto shop. So, unless you have already identified the term shop for your potential customer, i would advise using location rather than shop.

It would probably not be a good idea to add the URL to your posts, as the moderators might consider that to be spam, and delete your post. Any member seeing a URL posted here could report it to the moderators, causing needless difficulties.

EDIT: You don't need the second comma in the first sentence.
0 Replies