"2001: A Space Odyssey" vs. Today's Reality

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:07 pm
oh no, "millions of light years away"; and also at the end the alien was "going home" but promised to return!
he never did (maybe he was as naive about travelling a million light years - twice! - as he was about spacial directions)! Rolling Eyes

[ he was from a distant star that was to the left of Venus! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:14 pm
Well, if he was pointing low in the early evening sky as he said it...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:17 pm
patiodog wrote:
Well, if he was pointing low in the early evening sky as he said it...

but twenty minutes later??????
duh!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:23 pm
He doesn't expect to be followed. In fact, maybe he thought it was just a one planet stand, and this chick is reading way more into it than he intended, and his home is not in the direction of Venus, but just outside Topeka.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:35 pm
now that's more 'realistic'! Cool
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:58 pm
patiodog wrote:
Just a very tangential thought here, but what gets me about 2001 is the idea of what would be economically viable. Sure, it could be possible to have commercial travel into space, but for what? Where would the demand come from? And where is the rest of sweating, starving, striving humanity? To me, the film is parable, not prediction.

They say that mankind evolved in Sub-Saharan Africa. Do you think there was any point to him spreading to other continents? Where did the demand come from? What was the point? Did it help him in the long run to expand to the other continents?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:08 pm
getting out of Iraq - the cradle of civilization - still appears to present a few problems, eh? Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Just a very tangential thought here, but what gets me about 2001 is the idea of what would be economically viable. Sure, it could be possible to have commercial travel into space, but for what? Where would the demand come from? And where is the rest of sweating, starving, striving humanity? To me, the film is parable, not prediction.

They say that mankind evolved in Sub-Saharan Africa. Do you think there was any point to him spreading to other continents? Where did the demand come from? What was the point? Did it help him in the long run to expand to the other continents?

I'm not talking in any philosophical sense here, I'm talking about the nuts and bolts of the future as portrayed in the movies. If all of the resources that went into developing current microprocessors, the internet, and the like were funneled instead into the sort of space exploration ventures we see in 2001, much of that might have come to fruition. The reality, though, is that those resoures instead followed profit and dissipated into more mundane human endeavors on earth. I'm not talking about the way things should be, I'm talking about the way things are.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:25 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
getting out of Iraq - the cradle of civilization - still appears to present a few problems, eh? Laughing

You are off topic, but so be it. Considering an exit strategy to the near exclusion of considering the goals of the war and how to achieve them is merely stupid. Had we done this in World War 2, which lasted far longer than we have been in Iraq, we probably would have lost. Say, I have an idea! Let's discuss every topic on every board.
0 Replies