Resort pictures - are they real?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:05 am
Ever do some research for a vacation destination? You look at the pictures -- pool area awesome, beach pristine, rooms incredible, beautiful grounds -- a perfect wonderful resort -- but when you get there it ain't near what you thought.

I realize that hotels/resorts are going to try to take pictures that will complement the hotel and resort--but sometimes it really misleads you.

Heard about this website that might just give you a bit more info.

http://www.oyster.com/hotels/photo-fakeouts/

chai2

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 12:13 pm
I dunno.
Looked like most of the "actual" photo were fine.
I mean, you've got to know they take a picture of a hotel room or gym from the vantage point that they're standing against the wall.

I hope no one thinks they are going to a resort, whose business is to make money, and find there's only 3 people besides you on the beach.

Most of the hotel room pictures looked very much like the brochure, imo.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 04:51 pm
@chai2,
what about the dude coming out of a hot tub with a surf board -- I bet you don't see that often at a hotel?

Some though - are very deceiving - we went to this hotel via my daughter's BB team - it was required to stay at the team hotel - team building crap. Anyone it was a nice hotel, but the pool was a little larger than a normal sized hot tub -- you would have never guessed it was that tiny by the pictures. My daughter upon seeing said -- this will not do waaaay too small - just imagine 3 BB teams of girls ranging in age from 11 to 14 trying to fit in such a pool together.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 05:37 pm
@Linkat,
I saw the guy, but didn't think anything of it.

You can, in most of the pictures, realize the size of the pool and they show enough of the parameter. It just they take it at a good camera angle.

I mean, ya gotta know that a professional photographer took them to make the place look good. Look at wedding pictures. You know in real life some little kid is looking up the brides dress while she standing there making the required lovey dovey/staring into each others eyes picture with the groom. It's fantasy. It's what people want to see, but they know the truth is different.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 06:39 pm
What!?

You mean to tell me that a professional photographer, with their truck of equipment and years of experience, working with professional models and set decorators can make something look better than it does in real life?

Nooooooo.

(Don't dip your toes into how food is photographed if this bothers you.)
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 06:56 pm
@boomerang,
ooooo......tell me more how food is photographed!

It won't bother me a bit.
boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
@chai2,
A lot of it is shoe polish, white glue and microwaved tampons.

But with Photoshop that might have changed.

Food is hard to photograph. It starts looking awful after a few minutes.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 08:12 pm
@boomerang,
What do the mircrowaved tampons do?

edit....ah, I just looked it up...steam....very clever.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:43 pm
I recall the mid '70s, which was around the end of the hippy era. Vans done up by interior decorators still looked small with the bed and galley. Then they discovered wide angle lenses.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:10 pm
@roger,
Where I came from, they were called Sin Bins.

If the van's a rockin' don't come a'knockin'

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5ZD50JWdlyo/UIVzwWC00hI/AAAAAAAALdA/WFl6mqv9t8s/s640/blogger-image-1303321826.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Resort pictures - are they real?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:18:08