6.0 Earthquake just north of San Francisco (August 24, 2014)

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
Out of curiosity, who besides you, understands any of this? I was going to say fathoms but then I'd be in deep waters.

Is this phenomenon unusual..unprecedented?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
Is this related to the mysterious sink holes appearing in the permafrost of Siberia?

It is thought to be the result of long trapped gases being freed by the thawing permafrost.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/08/05/scientists-may-have-cracked-the-giant-siberian-crater-mystery-and-the-news-isnt-good/

Excerpt:
Quote:
There’s now a substantiated theory about what created the crater. And the news isn’t so good.

It may be methane gas, released by the thawing of frozen ground. According to a recent Nature article, “air near the bottom of the crater contained unusually high concentrations of methane — up to 9.6% — in tests conducted at the site on 16 July, says Andrei Plekhanov, an archaeologist at the Scientific Centre of Arctic Studies in Salekhard, Russia. Plekhanov, who led an expedition to the crater, says that air normally contains just 0.000179% methane.”

The scientist said the methane release may be related to Yamal’s unusually hot summers in 2012 and 2013, which were warmer by an average of 5 degrees Celsius. “As temperatures rose, the researchers suggest, permafrost thawed and collapsed, releasing methane that had been trapped in the icy ground,” the report stated.

room109

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:39 am
@oralloy,
damn some butterflys are pissed
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:53 am
@Butrflynet,
I think there may be some connection. Im not familiar with the sinkholes in the Arctic. Ill start looking around for information from the literature.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:05 pm
Back to my friends' former old house that is in downtown Napa - they were on the Sonoma coast when it happened, and, going home to Sacramento in the early morning, drove by the good old house.

Some foundation damage but very fixable. That house rocks, in more ways than one. I've happy memories of staying there several times.

The SFGate website had an article about how all the restaurants were doing, and commenters got after them for being so elitist and shallow..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 09:04 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for the graphic of the seeps.. I'd read about them quickly this morning. I find it scary.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:31 pm
@Ragman,
Uh, Id say its not a usual occurrence in the deeper waters, because the gas , at thise depths and pressures for wht looks like "dry ice" deposits . Theres always been n idea of mining them for the gas but they start fizzing like uncorked champagne with jut little changes in temp or pressure.
Theres probably other deeper deposit too but at greater pressures they may be stqble for many years to cme.
Its not my area, Ill ask bout , next time Im in one of the explor-tech
meetings
0 Replies