Delusions make the human mind that more amazing

Germlat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 07:43 pm
@rosborne979,
Societies are always delusional in one way or another...when are things maladaptive? The Christian crusades, the Nazis, slavery....
rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 07:48 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:
Societies are always delusional in one way or another...
Yes, but that's no reason to accept it and call it cute, or to fail to correct the delusional just because society benefits from the pretty pictures.
Germlat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 08:05 pm
@rosborne979,
I didn't ever say accept...I meant all societies have maladaptive traits and cannot recognize them until someone else intervenes. Sometimes delusion is societal..BTW-- I don't think art is all pretty pictures.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 10:53 pm
@Smileyrius,
Seems to help Mozart, though.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 10:57 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:
. . . The problem i think is the way you thought about it. There is a hint of superiority that is a constant on your words...
Do you think he may be arrogant?
Well!
I never!
Germlat

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 01:26 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

luismtzzz wrote:
. . . The problem i think is the way you thought about it. There is a hint of superiority that is a constant on your words...
Do you think he may be arrogant?
Well!
I never!

I didn't take it that way. Did I miss the subtle nuances ?
neologist

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 01:40 pm
@Germlat,
Delusional?
Germlat

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 06:17 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Delusional?

Didn't detect arrogance...tell me where to point my nose.
neologist

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 07:55 pm
@Germlat,
I dunno. Perhaps I should be grateful for his consideration:
Quote:
.. . we should just leave these people alone and never tell them the truth of reality as long as they are happy with their fantasies. We should encourage their fantasies to make them even more happy....
But I find his chutzpah unaccompanied by corresponding rhetorical skill.

Much like moron mentoring Mensa.

I've seen it before on a2k; but this one's a hoot.
luismtzzz

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:31 pm
@neologist,
Its a long rethorical description of a concept widely valued and (unfortunately) seldom practiced called tolerance. Especifically tolernace for the belifs of others.

Using his intelligence and rethoric hability to despites the value of people that has some kind of spirituality. Like talking about children.

Although what he says is true we should always respect what other people belive meanwhile they do not harm other persons he forgets to consider atheist that bluntly attack religious people.

Quote:
...People with either delusions of grandeur or the delusional belief in a God or afterlife should not be frowned upon because mental delusions are just one of the many amazing functions of the human mind...

Quote:
...if this person's belief just simply brings them personal pleasure in life, then it should not be frowned upon at all and should be acknowledged as an amazing function of his/her mind that makes this person that more amazing. I have delusions of grandeur ...

Quote:
...There are innocent people here just living their own fantasy world not harming others or causing wars and we should just leave these people alone and never tell them the truth of reality as long as they are happy with their fantasies. We should encourage their fantasies to make them even more happy...
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 03:09 am
@neologist,
He wasn't able to elaborate on his stance. I thought it would interesting but he wasn't creative enough to follow through. Probably came off his high.
0 Replies