Mark Twain books and quotes

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:37 am
kickycan wrote:
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it."

I saw this on a Twain quotes website, and I love it. I think I might have heard it before, but I can't remember: does anyone know whose funeral he's talking about here? Or where it's from?

I have read, but can't assert that this is true, that this refers to his own funeral. He was chronically broke, so he used to tour Europe doing public readings--not because he enjoyed it, but because he was broke. Once, while on such a tour, he was reported to have died. In the stupid style typical of journalists, reporters rushed to his hotel to ask him about it. He promptly replied:

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

I've read that your quote was another of his quips on the subject.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:43 am
coluber2001 wrote:
Another was something like, "History of a private campaign," about a group of boys in Missouri who form a small band of rebel soldiers, under the direction of a fanatic adult, during the Civil war. It's hilarious but ends tragically.

The work to which you refer is The Private History of a Campaign that Failed. It was, originally, always published followed by The War Prayer. The character who is killed by the boys at the end of The Private History is only referred to as "the Stranger." In a 1981 "made for television" movie of The Private History, The War Prayer is added at the end, and the actor who plays "the Stranger" in The Private History is the stranger who enters the church in Connecticut to thunder forth the War Prayer. It was done very well.
0 Replies

blindsided

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 12:28 am
I like his German language essay. It did a good job of deterring me from learning German
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 02:05 am
I think that's the one included in A Tramp Abroad, blindsided. I thought it was halarious.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:06 am
"Golf is a good walk spoiled."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:52 am
BM. I liked Uncle Tom's Sawyer.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:25 pm
...and Huckleberry's Finnian Haddie?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:32 am
The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong.
Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right.

- Notebook, 1898
Mark Twain

http://www.twainquotes.com/SLCRussell.jpg

Here is a good site for quotes and pictures
http://www.twainquotes.com/A.html

Personally, I read about Tom Sawyer the same time i was reading about Dicken's Oliver

But it is Huck Finn and The Artful Dodger who I became great friends with
0 Replies