bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 06:55 am
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/jd140816.gif
Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That is true but not the subject of this thread. Your narrative was pointing to all the blacks that are killed by whites but the facts don't equal the rant.

Where you also aware that the initial autopsy has been completed twice now and there is no proof of Brown being shot in the back. A third autopsy is now scheduled to be done by the Federal govt. Why so many?

As I said before, we still don't know the whole story of what happened and details are changing by the day.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
You know what I mean.
Most murdered whites are murdered by murdering white murderous murderers.

Did I put a fine enough point on it?
not fine enuf SOURCING
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:34 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Of course I remember William Calley.
We were in the same home room at Miami Edison Sr. High. We called him Rusty.
Describe his demeanor ?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:32 am
Quote:
Romeo said: the big black gorilla . . .
There's a saying in police forces- "The only thing fast enough to catch a running nigger is a bullet"
Oralloy said: Romeo, I am compelled to vote down all posts in which you say such horrible things. Please stop.

Sorry mate, I'm English so maybe the American meaning of words is different than ours. For example a US term I've heard to describe people like you is "nigger-lover" but I don't know if it's used as a compliment or insult?..Wink
NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)
Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:54 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wasn't implying you were racist. I said the word is racist and has those implications. Take from it what you want.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, and I bet books have been written to explain it. Probably true of most police departments, too, though police can quit their jobs and sometimes do.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:47 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
You can usually bet that the word "nigger" anything
is offensive to a majority of Americans and
a word that is not used in common usage.
except among the blacks
Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You are only partially correct. Black people usually refer to themselves with the last letter being an A. As in Nigga. Not Nigger.

To them there is a world of difference and I happen to agree. Having half black children though, I never allowed the use of either word in my house. Only ignorant people use it whether it ends in a vowel or a consonant. You usually don't see educated blacks using these terms, they have enough respect for themselves to not use it.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ha ha yeah, blacks are happy to call themselves niggers in youtube vids and Facebook accounts etc, even Trayvon Martin called himself “No_Limit_Nigga” on Twitter ..Smile
http://www.rightwingnews.com/10-random-140-character-thoughts/20-trayvon-martins-tweets-that-stand-out-language-warning/
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:22 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
You are only partially correct. Black people usually refer to themselves with the last letter being an A. As in Nigga. Not Nigger.

To them there is a world of difference and I happen to agree. Having half black children though, I never allowed the use of either word in my house. Only ignorant people use it whether it ends in a vowel or a consonant. You usually don't see educated blacks using these terms, they have enough respect for themselves to not use it.
My memory goes back to an elevator ride I took in NY
in another century, when a group of about 8 very dark
youthful Africans entered it, one of whom was conspicuously irate,
in a state of loud & intense rage against another who was absent.
His voice was rancorous, as he bitterly addressed the group.
If the target of his acrimony had been present,
I dont believe that he 'd have been safe.
During about 2 minutes, he denounced that: "NIGGER!!!" at least 7 times,
raising his voice each time that he disseminated that identification,
in the face of a silent absence of dissent in that elevator.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:24 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Ha ha yeah, blacks are happy to call themselves niggers . . .
Thay r not always happy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:32 pm
@roger,
Most soldiers and cops are there to serve. I still believe this, but it gets hard to do at times.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Especially when one small community's police department starts to use military tanks against their own people.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Heck, I think they are bringing in the National Guard, next, unless the governor has changed his mind. People can reach a point to where they prefer to be massacred than to give in to oppression.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe if they stopped rioting and looting, the gov. wouldn't have to call in the National Guard. Peaceful protests are one thing, destroying property because you are mad is no excuse.

How many lives in those neighborhoods have the looters and rioters destroyed? Small businesses have been ruined and will likely have a very hard time rebuilding.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
An answer, in part, today on Daily Kos.com -

MON AUG 18, 2014 AT 12:33 PM PDT
Ferguson's election turnout is terrible by design. Here's how to fix it.
by Steve Singiser

Ferguson's voting precincts in St. Louis County. These precincts went 83 percent for Obama in 2008.

A consistent subplot to the horrors in Ferguson over the past week has been a consistent sense of wonder at how a city that has, over the past two decades, become a majority-black community could have a white mayor, a majority-white city council, and an almost universally white police force.

That wonder emanates from two simple facts: the city's population is more than two-thirds African American, and the voting precincts that make up the greater Ferguson area are overwhelmingly black and Democratic. And yet the political power structure in the city is white, and the mayor is not only white, he is a Republican.

As two must-read articles (one by Ian Millhiser of Think Progress, the other by Jeff Smith in the New York Times) affirm, the answer, in part, is electoral politics.

It would not be a stretch to say that municipal elections, in no small part, are rigged. Not in the classic "stolen election" sense, of course, but rigged in the sense that a number of factors, chief among them their scheduling, of all things, ensure that political change comes to communities at a snail's pace, if at all.

As Millhiser writes:

If you compared the racial makeup of Ferguson, Missouri’s population as a whole to that of its government, it would be easy to mistake the city for an enclave of Jim Crow. Although nearly 70 percent of Ferguson is black, 50 of its 53 police officers are white. So are five of Ferguson’s six city council members. The mayor, James Knowles, is a white Republican.
Ferguson can help ensure that its leaders more closely resemble its population, however. They just need to hold their elections at a time when voters are actually likely to show up.

To explain, a major contributor to the disparity between Ferguson’s population demographics and that of its leaders is Ferguson’s unusual elections calendar.

The only flaw in Millhiser's spot-on lede is that Ferguson is not actually all that unusual.
Most municipalities hold their elections apart from the "traditional" electoral calendar for state and federal elections. As an example, here in my backyard, the LA city mayoral calendar saw Democrat Eric Garcetti elected in May of 2013. Some municipalities make a slight bow to tradition, holding their elections in November, but insisting on holding them in those odd-numbered years where there are no competing state or federal elections in all but a handful of states.

On the surface, it makes little sense. After all, with most cities and communities perpetually cash strapped, what is the acceptable rationale for deciding to schedule elections in such a way that it incurs the expense of an additional and separate election? Costs will, of course, vary with size (as one representative example, the Arizona city of Prescott, with only about 25,000 registered voters, spends about $65,000 to administer their elections). So, why would these municipalities willingly hang onto a schedule that requires them to fund more elections than absolutely necessary?

The answer, as Jeff Smith is quick to point out, is power and money:

Many North County towns — and inner-ring suburbs nationally — resemble Ferguson. Longtime white residents have consolidated power, continuing to dominate the City Councils and school boards despite sweeping demographic change. They have retained control of patronage jobs and municipal contracts awarded to allies.
By leaving municipal elections as stand-alone dates, these communities ensure that their own municipal elections are stunningly low turnout affairs. As Millhiser noted, turnout in Ferguson in the last municipal elections was a putrid 11.7 percent of registered voters. This is not unique to Ferguson: last year's spate of municipal elections in my home county of Los Angeles drew 11.9 percent of registered voters to the polls.
In low turnout affairs, allies of the incumbent power structure have an inherent edge because they have a vested interest (and financial resources, courtesy of those patronage jobs and city contracts) in preserving the community political hierarchy. Therefore, they can swamp any upstart candidates financially, leaving the existing structure in place.

What's more, as Millhiser noted, the disparity between municipal turnout and, say, presidential turnout had a clear racial component to it, as well:

Turnout is especially low among Ferguson’s African American residents, however. In 2013, for example, just 6 percent of eligible black voters cast a ballot in Ferguson’s municipal elections, as compared to 17 percent of white voters.
(...)

Fifty-four percent of Ferguson’s African American voters turned out in November of 2012, as opposed to 55 percent of whites. Admittedly, 2012 may have been an unusually high year for African American turnout in Ferguson, given President Obama’s presence on the ballot, but even if black turnout typically fell 20 points behind white turnout in a presidential year, that would still be better than the 3 to 1 disparity during the April municipal elections.

The two authors actually prescribe quite different remedies for this phenomenon. Millhiser suggests a referendum changing the electoral calendar, while Smith advocates for municipal consolidation of these stagnant or declining inner ring suburban cities to change the electoral calculus. Either method would be preferable, of course, to a status quo that it must be argued is at least a contributory factor to the horrors we have witnessed in St. Louis County over the past week.
ORIGINALLY POSTED TO DAILY KOS ELECTIONS ON MON AUG 18, 2014 AT 10:42 AM PDT.

ALSO REPUBLISHED BY DAILY KOS.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 02:00 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Peaceful protests are one thing, destroying property because you are mad is no excuse.

Agree. When you move from protest to looting and property destruction, you've pretty much destroyed the whole concept of protest.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:12:36