Electric fans and pets

Equus

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:47 am
Since dogs and cats don't perspire through their skin, do they experience any cooling effect during hot weather from an electric fan? Or is it just a hot breeze to them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,510 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:38 am
Damifino! My cats will cluster in front of any source of heat in the winter, though. Not one of them will sit in front of a fan.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:18 pm
All the dogs I know hog fans.

If you want to find the coolest place in a yard in the summer, watch where the dog stretches out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:29 pm
In the summer you will find Setanta on one side of the bed, clinging to the mattress, me on the other side, holding onto the mattress handle, and the dogs in the middle - under the ceiling fan.

My male dog usually spreadeagles wherever he can find a decent draft or some cool or colllllllld air. This seems consistent for most dogs I know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:29 pm
Well, sure. You don't see cats hanging their heads out the windows of cars either.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:35 pm
True roger, but when they jump out of car windows it's highly amusing.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:39 pm
When the weather turns warm my cats always seek out the tiled parts of my apartment to stretch out on. They will even sleep in my ceramic tub because it is cooler than the carpet. I don't think cats like to sit in front of fans because they don't like the way the breeze ruffles their fur. I have noticed that they will sit in the path of the fan at a respectable distance so that they don't get their coats mussed.

Dogs on the other hand are not nearly so picky and will horde any breeze they can find on a hot day, rumpled hair or not.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:43 pm
My cat does sit infront of the fan, so does the dog.
0 Replies