What's your favorite salt for cooking, eating?

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:24 pm
I just went to a salt store. I never suspected such a variety. After sampling Himalayan, Hawaiian, Smoked, Garlic, Jalapeno, and who can remember what, I had a strong desire for iced tea. But, I also bought some.

What's your favorite or favorites? Do you look for new varieties? Do you value the reputed health benefits?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,269 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:50 pm
@neologist,
Doctor has me using this stuff now because I need the extra potassium and am unable to swallow the pills.

Can't say I notice any difference and this potassium chloride stuff is supposed to be more healthy than the sodium.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416BjotkviL._SY300_.jpg

I used to have a spice grinder full of pink peppercorns, minced garlic, lemon peel and kosher salt. That was great on meats and veggies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:55 pm
@neologist,
Diane and I went to an olive oil store and ran into counters about fancy salts, that I'd heard of but not paid attention to.
I'm out of it - I have poor sense of smell so the oil aisles are just expensive waving flags. I know others can tell the diff, so I won't mock. Smelling the salts - may you all enjoy. Hope your wallets are fat.
glitterbag

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I like Kosher salt, haven't really tried the varied colored salts, but it's easy enough to add additional things. I keep dozens of spices in the cabinet. I date them so I don't keep them too long.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:18 pm
@neologist,
In my adult life (after say aged 40), I avoided salt...by not adding much of it to cooking. I avoided regular eating of potato chips and various treats. Well, as a result of good habit, perhaps, I've never had a BP problem and my kidneys are pretty healthy.

Nowadays, I do add some sea salt..not because I think it's that much healthier ...but because it has some trace minerals in it which I might not get in my every-day diet. I still don't add any to most of my meals when cooking...but I must mention that I don't eat red meat. I will add salt to salmon and other fish I eat and add it to some organic chicken dishes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:22 pm
I rarely add salt to anything, but when I do, it's sea salt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:30 pm
this new salt thing is very elaborate, and also quite expensive. I'd say not in your usual grocery store at its most elaborate - but I don't go to Whole Foods so I don't now if they play with all that. There were dozens of kinds of salts at the place Diane and I checked out.

I can't afford that stuff, but I'm a no even if so.
chai2

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:15 pm
A month or 2 ago I listened to this man on a cooking show on NPR talk about different salts.

Just for fun, I bought a 4.4oz contained of one a kinda mid-price fancy salt at a local specialty market. Someone next to me in the aise suggested this one to start off. He seemed to know a bit about it.

I'd been using kosher salt for a few years prior to this. When I got home, I taste tested a bit of it and compared to the kosher salt. There was a really big difference. The taste really pops in your mouth. Not in a more "salty" way, but in a "this is what salt is really supposed to taste like" way. I just now put a bit of it on the tip of my tongue, and it really catches your attention.

When I put some in a hot pan, before I add oil, some of it will actually pop around. When I add oil, it sizzles.
Yes, it definitely brings out the taste of food much better.
I don't use it in boiling water, like for pasta or rice, but I find myself reaching for it whenever I'm cooking something in a pan. I'm also putting a bit on my garden tomatoes and cucumbers.

The little package is going to last a long time.

Here's the package....

http://www.cybercucina.com/pi/Natural-Sea-Salt-Fleur-de-Sel/Guerande-Fleur-De-Sel-Box-Le-Paludier/FDS7111-l/

http://formaggiokitchen.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/img_-065.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:15 pm
@ossobuco,
It's not so bad if you salt a little away each week.

Sorry, it's my dry humo0r, I guess.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 12:51 am
I would think even the expensive types would last long enough to be cost effective.
Ragman

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:42 am
@neologist,
I'm not absorbing all of this.
chai2

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:24 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I would think even the expensive types would last long enough to be cost effective.

Yeah. I had bought a 4.4 oz container of the above, and it's going to last a long, long time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:44 am
Here's a link to a similar shop to the one Neologist is talking about -

13 types of sea salts - with photos and prices -

http://shop.santafeoliveoil.com/Gourmet-Sea-Salts_c5.htm

(plus olive oils and various vinegars)
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:03 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
I'm not absorbing all of this.
I hope not. Salt should be used sparingly. Very Happy
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:34 pm
If anyone is feeling abventurous, there is a sample pack on Amazon for less than $20.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gourmet-Sea-Salt-Sampler/dp/B002NO2ITC/ref=pd_sbs_gro_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VDCMG8SG27H15ESECFH
0 Replies