Computer passes Turing test for first time.

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 01:14 pm
A Russian built computer appears to be the first computer to beat the Turing test. The test, created by WWII code breaker, Alan Turing, tries to determine if humans can tell if a correspondent is human or a computer.

There is a bit more to the story (other claims under other conditions), but it is an exciting advancement.

Story here:

http://www.dvice.com/2014-6-9/computer-passes-turing-test-first-time

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 01:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Does this mean the Skynet is just around the corner?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 01:26 pm
@Baldimo,
Skynet is already here. Her name is Siri. She's just biding her time....
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 01:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's nothing.

I have been passing the Turing test for over 40 years.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 03:43 pm
It wasn't a real Turing test.
Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 03:51 pm
@Baldimo,
Skynet will be back.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 04:16 pm
@contrex,
I have a Turing bicycle. I ride it to the market.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 03:36 am
Here's a link to an article in the New Yorker where the test was taken to task.

All sorts of opinions on the matter...but there is no doubt that machines are becoming more sophisticated...even if not more intelligent.

Maybe a new test will be devised soon to test whether the machines are actually becoming more intelligent.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2014/06/failing-the-turing-test.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 04:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think having it pretend to be a 13 year old child made it easier for it to pass the test. I'll be more impressed when it can pass for an adult. But it won't pass my own personal Turing test until it can teach is something we don't already know, while pretending to be a human.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:42 am
@rosborne979,
I think your test is more realistic than the standard Turing.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:25 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I think your test is more realistic than the standard Turing.

I agree.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 10:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank you've stimulated my curiosity. Can you provide a link to a really good Turing

…as I find it remarkable that 30 percent can be fooled
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
When Turing developed his test the required feat undoubtedly seemed like it would be a significant sign of machine intelligence. As this "passing" of the test shows, it's not. It would seem that Turing may not have sufficiently considered the gullibility of humans in the formulation of his test.

After many years of the ploy being used and receiving widespread attention, I still regularly get e-mail from some purported official of a government or bank promising to share a multi-million dollar windfall if I agree to be his agent in the US --- details of how I need only send him $5,000 for administrative fees to be provided upon confirming one's willingness.

Either this means there are lot of hapless, would-be cons out there still trying a play that no longer works, or enough people are still falling for it to keep if vital.

This software con was missing the classic and crucial element of all successful bunko schemes: the mark's greed, but it still relied on that other important one: gullibility.

I think intelligent machines are inevitable, but I'm dubious about how this event is any indicator of how far away the emergence of AI may be.

0 Replies