Did you ever see a robing weep?
When leaves begin to die
That means he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome I could cry

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry

Today marks the 50th anniversary of his death.
I never realized what a gifted lyricist he was
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,180 • Replies: 21
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 07:56 am
Hank Williams my search engine tells me... but I know nothing about him - I have heard the name...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:09 am
Deb, You're correct, but mainly I posted the lyrics to his song because I felt it was stunning poetry. I never realized what a talent the man was until I looked at the lyrics without the musical distraction. You Aussies probably have a comparable genre of American Country music. Hank Williams was only 29 years old and died in the back seat of a car on his way to a New Year's Eve performance in Ohio. Poetry doesn't have to be complicated to strike a nerve. does it?

Happy New Year, my friend
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:55 am
Hank remains one of the rarest commodities. A country singer I can appreciate.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:09 am
Hey, Rog.

Indeed, HW was a rare commodity, but like so many delicate and beautiful things, too fragile to withstand the frosts of success. The music business is a "coy mistress" and luck is not always a "lady" Rolling Eyes

Happy New Year, Rog
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:09 am
I've never been much of a fan of country music. However, that song always gave me chills. The music and lyrics together are some of the best I've ever heard. Thanks for posting this, Letty.

Memories ... light the corners of my mind ...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:24 am
Hi, chatoyant,

Interesting that I was never a fan of country music when I was young. Not trendy, I guess. Now I realize just how beautiful and plaintive it was.

Glad you appreciated the lyrics to Hank's song, and, yes, very chilling.

Ring out the old--ring in the knew. Laughing
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 08:18 pm
he was one of dylan's heroes and greatest influeces, i think, as well as woodie guthrie
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 08:25 pm
Well, Mikey. I certainly did not know that he was Dylan's idol. Thanks for that bit of info. I tried playing it on piano, and the changes are deceptively simple....so very haunting.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 08:31 pm
i might be way off here, if i am, correct me,

his writing smack's of bob

i know woody was
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 07:07 am
Frankly, Mikey, I never put two and one together here, but in retrospect, I understand your comparison. All lyric poetry was originally meant to be set to music, hence the wandering bards of yore. America still has her wandering bards, and to paraphrase Leonard Bernstein, that is what makes music American.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 07:29 am
When I was but a lad, back in the late 40s and early 50s, my Mom listened to country music all day long. I was a fan of Hank Williams all the way back then. The years have only served to enhance the greatness of his songs. I have several collections of his music. Some of it unspeakably sad, some of it much more light hearted, poignant - a wide range of effects and emotions. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to discuss him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 07:49 am
Hey, edgar. I grew up in a home constantly filled with music--music of all kinds. Eventually, I may even try and appreciate hip-hop and rap. Laughing
I am delighted that this thread touched a chord for you.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
Ah Letty. I'm So Lonesome...must be one of the saddest songs of all time. I first heard it performed by Johnny Cash on his TV show. I bought recordings of it by B.J. Thomas and Elvis Presley, but hadn't made the Hank Williams connection. The only Hank Williams song I was familiar with at that time was "Your Cheatin' Heart". One day, while playing a record of it for a friend who appreciated lyrics, (at that time voice and music were my priority), he said: "I'm picturing a robin crying. Did you ever see a robin cry?" And I visualized a robin with a tear drop falling as leaves fell to the ground, and that is one sad image Crying or Very sad and to this day the image that comes to mind every time I hear a lonesome song. Great lyrics. Can you picture it, too.? Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:09 am
Raggedy, That line really got to me as a masterpiece in imagery, as well as the phrase, "...whining low"....WOW!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 05:36 pm
This song was one that an old friend loved... we listened to it just before he went to Viet Nam. He came home and shot himself dead. Like that Robin, he couldn't take the change of seasons.

It is beautiful poetry, but the melody is so beautiful I wouldn't want to separate it from the lyrics.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 05:54 pm
of course, Piffka. That is the reason that I sat at the piano today and played it. They do go together--the words and the music. I just wanted to show that poetry is not just words on a page..it can stand alone or together. Tragic about your friend. I cannot express the horror that I feel over suicide. We have had so many friends go that way. Hank Williams, in his own way, did the same. Battles are not always fought on the battlefield.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 06:09 pm
Really, Letty, I tried but I can't separate them. When I first read the words, the melody snuck right in and it stays there, lilting, in the background. Was this one of the songs that Squeedleboink sang on his Butterfly CD?

I'm so grateful that you posted it though. I'm going to look for other lyrics by Hank Williams and may add them, if it's OK with you. My friend had one other song that I associated with him... I want to see who wrote it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:32 pm
Don't think HCE did any Hank Williams. Where is that cowboy from Boston, anyway? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:49 pm
Sure wish he'd show up on A2K. Y'know, Peace & Love and I met him in late October. Wonderful, generous, lovely man. BTW, he spoke highly of you!

Well I checked, and the other song my friend wanted to hear (to sing with me really) was... When You Walk Through a Storm... turns out to be from Carousel, Rodgers lyrics. Similar feeling, I guess -- my friend was worried.
0 Replies