Odd snail mail request?

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 08:22 am
Does this even make sense. I received a notice/letter/request in the mail from a pension plan with a previous employer.

It said something along the lines - a recent important document was mailed to you and returned to us as no longer at this address regarding your pension plan. Please fill out the following form with your new address.

OK this could make sense as we had moved a little less than two years ago. BUT then how the heck were they able to send this letter and form to my NEW address (that is where it was addressed to my current address)?

So some how they have my current address - I still have some 401k and other retirement stuff with them so they have my current address through those accounts. Wouldn't it make more sense just to send me the stuff to my current address?

I know this isn't a scam sort of thing as the return envelope is where the company is located.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 346 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 08:37 am
@Linkat,

if you still have it, look at the envelope.

was the letter mailed to your previous residence and then forwarded to you?
roger

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 09:19 am
@Linkat,
I'm not sure things are supposed to make sense. I get mail at a post office address, my bank sends all correspondence to the po box EXCEPT anything regarding my IRA account. It can take weeks to get here. There might have been times when it didn't get here at all. Banks and post offices don't always have a lot of smarts.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 09:43 am
@Linkat,
Almost all of these mailings from financial companies have a "Return Service Requested" endorsement. When the letter gets to the old address, it is returned to the sender along with the new address. I'm guessing the company has your address via the post office but needs you to make it official before they can put it in their system.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 10:39 am
@Region Philbis,
No - it was simply sent to my new address. And all it was - is a letter stating they received the mail back with a form to fill out with my previous and new address. I actually work so close to them I can walk it over now.
chai2

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 10:46 am
@Linkat,
I've gotten things similar to this. It just shows the inefficiencies of systems.

I've called places and said, basically, "why did you do X, when you know Y has happened, because you referenced it?"

0 Replies