RARE ASTRONOMICAL EVENT on June 8, 2004!

fealola

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:21 pm
Venus to transit between Earth and sun
Rare opportuity for astronomers

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 Posted: 1:37 PM EDT (1737 GMT)

On June 8, 2004, the silhouette of the planet Venus will cross the face of the Sun as seen from the Earth.

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Europe, the Middle East and much of Asia and Africa will offer prime viewing next month for an astronomical event that has not occurred for 122 years -- the transit of the planet Venus across the sun.

Weather permitting, for six hours on June 8 astronomers and the public will be able to see the planet named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty passing directly between Earth and the sun.

The event has been billed as a once in a lifetime experience because the last transit was on December 6, 1882 and the next one will not occur until June 6, 2012, but will not be visible in Britain and other parts of Europe.

"Something wonderful, something marvelous is happening on June 8th and will be witnessed and experienced by millions of people all over the world," Gordon Bromage, a professor of astronomy at England's University of Central Lancashire, told a news conference Tuesday.

"It is an extremely rare astrological event."

The transit, when Venus will appear as an intense black dot about 1/30th the diameter of the sun, will be visible in the morning in Britain, most of Europe and Africa, later in the day in the Middle East and across Russia and India and later still in the Far East, which will get a limited view....

FULL STORY HERE.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,141 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:13 pm
oooooohhhh.....
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:14 pm
Isn't that what Captain Cook was going for when he sailed the Pacific?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:25 pm
I'm guessing, after further thought, that we won't be seeing it here in the states..... bummer. I guess I can live until 2012.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:30 pm
Hoping to live until 2012 myself L'k I am still mourning over not being able to see Mars again like we did last summer. The last time it was that close I was only 10, doubt I will live to see that sight again.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:55 pm
Hey, you've had Venus at its closest point in a century during the past month. That's something, ain't it? Though I haven't looked up and been really floored since I saw Hale-Bopp before hearing about it. That was cool.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:15 pm
Thanks, I would have almost missed this event.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 04:24 pm
You know, after this event Venus becomes the morning star.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:52 pm
Righto.

My mother lived to see Hailey's Commet twice she was so excited about it.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:01 pm
patiodog wrote:
Hey, you've had Venus at its closest point in a century during the past month. That's something, ain't it? Though I haven't looked up and been really floored since I saw Hale-Bopp before hearing about it. That was cool.

Wasn't that Mars? I remember, you could actually see a redish glow with the naked eye. We had a view of Hale-Bopp from our backyard for a long time. (Was it about a month?)

Yep, don't think we'll be able to see it here in the US, but I love this stuff and A2Ker's love this stuff too--wanted to make sure everone else knew.

JoanneD., She saw Haleys Comet twice? Wow! Mark Twain was born during the first Haley's Comet appearance and died during the second. (Am I right about that?)

What does this mean?:: A long time ago, when I was a kid, I had a dream that sticks with me to this day: I look at the moon, and there is a glowing star in front of it...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:18 pm
Maybe a website in Europe will offer up a closer view via webcam telescope for those of us who won't be able to witness it first hand.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:11 am
The transit will be visible in the Eastern half of the US in the morning. The Western half of the US (about West of the Rockies) won't see it because it'll happen during nighttime there. http://www.venus-transit.de/2004/index.html
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/transit/venus/Map2004-2.GIF
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:49 am
Oh, well.
0 Replies