Leg Swelling in 25 Year Old Female

Mon 26 May, 2014 11:32 pm
I am a 25 year old female, recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis after experiencing an episode of optic neuritis, and I suffer from pitting edema in my legs, ankles, and tops of my feet. These episodes of edema are cyclic, and seem to consistently present just around the time I end my period, during high stress, flying for long periods of time, and when in hot/humid conditions. The pitting often can be graded as severe as 4+ pitting edema, and I have recently started resorting to loop diuretics (40mg furosemide) to relieve the tightness I feel in fear that my skin may ulcerate. I am very conscious of my sodium and water intake, but it seems to make no difference. I have had an echo done on my heart (both stress and resting), with normal EF, and nothing outstanding to note. I have also had my liver and kidney levels checked, along with a sonograph of them- levels and structure of both are normal. I have also had a doppler done on my legs to check for vascular/valvular insufficiently problems, which is also normal. I currently live in the tropics, but even when I return to my home in the mid west, the pitting edema, although less severe, still presents despite the much cooler/dryer temperature. What could be causing this??? I am seeking some sound medical advice, or insight from someone who may have experienced something similar to this. Thanks!

davidmartin123

Mon 26 May, 2014 11:34 pm
Having gone through your problem, I've concluded that you must take help from a spiritual mentor.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 26 May, 2014 11:46 pm
Your doctors can diagnose MS but not treat edema? What's missing from your narrative?
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Mon 26 May, 2014 11:49 pm
@GraysAtlas,
My sister-in-law has MS and she has terrible edema.... but this is not the place for medical advice . See your doctor.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:43 pm
@GraysAtlas,
I´ve seen Ms patients having similar trouble with the use of the interferon treatment, i can be easily the cause. But it will rather be more appropiate to look for a second oppinion with a reumatologist since it can be a sign of a second disease. It will be necesary to do a work up on less common diseases since it seems the principal causes of pitting edema had been almost ruled out. A complemet deficiency or a defect on the enzymes of such pathway can cause the edema you describe. I will all so consider vasculitides as an option. And never rule out something as simple as a combination of bad venous postural hygiene plus steroid or interferon mediated retention or reaction to other drug you are taking plus change in lifestyle and exercise since your diagnosis. Ask people you now for a trustable reumatologist and do an appointment.
And please. Go all the way threw allopatic medicine. Don´t try any alternative crap. I had seen really horrible outcomes with people that abandon scientifical medicine.
0 Replies

Danny Kim

Fri 30 May, 2014 12:42 am
@GraysAtlas,
Hi GraysAtlas. It seems that you have checked most of the possible causes(cardiac, renal, hepatic and vascular) of your symptom. There's actually one more category of edema, and it's called idiopathic edema. It is the diagnosis of exclusion.
After you rule out all the possible causes and you can't find any problems, doctors can name it.
In this case you can't diagnose it specifically, but for some women who are premenopausal, physicians can suspect premenstrual edema. Premenstrual edema is usually mild(sometimes worse), and selflimited, with a diuresis beginning with or shortly after the onset of menses. The edema is thought to be humorally mediated, as estrogen or prolactin. But unfortunately, there's not much we can do for diagnosing or specially treating it.
Also some drugs you are taking for MS caused or aggravated your symptom.
Doctors prescribe furosemide when patients are edematous, but hypokalemia and renal insufficiency are side effects that doctors are concered with. Please see your doctor and get checked regularly for potassium level and renal function if you keep taking furosemide. If your symptom becomes less severe and self-limited, observation with low salt, low carbohydrate diet can be an option. Hope you can manage it well with your physicians.
0 Replies