How old were you when you left the nest?

Montana

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 12:08 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
left at 13. got caught and sent back home. left at 15. got caught and sent to live with relatives....left at 17...they got tired of going after me.......

I was actually literally left on my own from about the age of seven, although I shared an apartment with my mother and we hung out some, but I had absolutely no formal upbringing at all......made it up as I went along.....by the time I was sent to relatives (as opposed to reform school for a juvenile indiscretion of some seriousness) it was way to late for me to adjust to any sort of "normal" routine...the die was cast.......

Reading this made me so sad Bear!!! (((Hug)))
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:31 pm
Montana wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
left at 13. got caught and sent back home. left at 15. got caught and sent to live with relatives....left at 17...they got tired of going after me.......

I was actually literally left on my own from about the age of seven, although I shared an apartment with my mother and we hung out some, but I had absolutely no formal upbringing at all......made it up as I went along.....by the time I was sent to relatives (as opposed to reform school for a juvenile indiscretion of some seriousness) it was way to late for me to adjust to any sort of "normal" routine...the die was cast.......

Well I appreciate the good thought, but there's a lot of people who had it worse than me.....I wasn't getting burned with cigarettes or having the **** beaten out of me....there's that advantage to being left alone......and besides look how well I've turned out :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:00 pm
I appreciate your post, Craven, good quip-truth.

edit to say I assume you know I know that doesn't cover it.

I was lucky enough to get to go to college since I had a state university about two miles away from our house. My parents had little money for most of those years (though had one spurt that got me disallowed for a scholarship when I applied, and it never occurred to dumbo (or would that be dumba?) to reapply during the next years of my father's unemployment. So I lived at home, which was not exactly easy as there was this great irish longtime silent discontent like a miasma... but better than many many other people have it. Out right after that to do lab training (my take home pay was $160 a month, my rent was 95., my Beneficial Finance bill for the loan which helped me move was $13.39, and I had to buy uniforms and lots of pairs of nylons and nursing shoes. Did things like make soup with chicken necks...
Got a job in LA at last, and an apartment, that is, kind of a tack-on to a duplex in front. I was so pleased...

So, to cut the suspense, I was 22, as it took me five years to graduate. What with working 30 hrs a week I didn't take a full load each semester, plus I changed majors. By the time I got out on my own I was way overdue for control of my life.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:09 pm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:10 pm
Hmmm....officially, I suppose I've been out of the nest since 18. I went to university out of town, and lived there. I met Mrs. cav not long after graduating, and promptly moved in. I've been out ever since really, except one might want to consult my folks, who until very recently believed that my brother and myself would come back home, despite the fact that we are both married. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:49 pm
At age 20 I told Mom I was going to hitch hike to San Antonio to look for work. That was about forty miles away. By the time I neared that big sprawling city I had become aware that my real destination was California. I had three dollars, and it was a long trip; I stopped in a store and spent one of my dollars on a novel to read along the way. As I had no social skills and no grace, I found it hard to get a nice job. Within a month I joined the Navy.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:07 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Montana wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Well I appreciate the good thought, but there's a lot of people who had it worse than me.....I wasn't getting burned with cigarettes or having the **** beaten out of me....there's that advantage to being left alone......and besides look how well I've turned out :wink:

That's true, you did turn out pretty awesome ;-)
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:42 pm
In the summer of '65 I lived with relatives, earning money to buy my own school clothes . Paid rent, bought groceries and even had my first checking account at the ripe age of 16. Went back to the 160 acre farm to protect and help raise six younger brothers with little or no help from Mom or my abusive, alcoholic step-dad. They lost the farm when I start college the following year.

I left after graduating from high school, yep at age 17. Spent a semester at college partying. I dropped out before being kicked out of school for bad grades. I tried to find work for 1 1/2 months before enlisting into the US Army Paratroopers for three years. "Get the war under your belt and come back, kid. We don't want to hire you when you'll be drafted soon."

I really wanted to be a history professor, specializing in Oriental history. Instead, I helped make it. Mom and the family saw me on network television three times during Tet of 1968, when our unit rolled through Saigon with tanks. She saw me later that year, when a medevac came into a base-camp with a wounded friend was brought in. It was similar to the opening sequence of the television show M*A*S*H, except this was real, not Hollywood.

Married in service and after eight years and three kids, used the folks place as a mailing address for a summer, paying rent for a room I seldom used. I spent most of that summer traveling the Southwestern states and getting first-hand knowledge of the Native Peoples of that area.

Even after remarrying and trying to make that 20 year mistake work, I only spent three more nights under my folks roof. I needed a place for a few days to get a place. That was shortly before I "came out".

Now, with my step-dad gone, I visit with Mom often. She still talks lovingly about the old sot she had married, but I mainly ignore it, except when she has gone on for a while about his "virtues". Then Sam or I try to change the subject. She's better at it than I am, since I'm still a "kid" in Mom's eyes.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:56 pm
Gala wrote:
bogo, what i really wated to do was call gustav and is trail of " i miss my mamma so" tears a lying sack of ****, but i didn't thiink that would be ladylike of me.

'ladylike Gala; do you forget where you are, and who your dealing with Shocked
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:02 pm
cavfancier wrote:
.......... I met Mrs. cav not long after graduating, and promptly moved in. I've been "out" ever since really..........

hmmm doesn't Ms Fancy miss you, or perhaps she has the door locked, is that the problem?

[ain't it fun taking things out of context.....? Laughing Laughing Laughing ]
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:03 pm
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:23 pm
18 the first time, moved to toronto and lived there for about ten years

came home stayed at home for a bit and then moved closer to my job

ditched that job and moved back home and found new work right around the corner (15 minute walk) being a rural area there's really no place to go, so back home for now
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:26 pm
I'm surprised by the amount of people that moved out at the age of 17, I thought most people hung around longer.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:00:11