I'm taking part in the Clock Your Sleep crowdsourcing experiment

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 06:20 pm
For almost a month or so, I've been participating in the crowdsourcing experiment being done by my NPR station, WNYC. Each night and morning I provide my sleep details. When I go to bed, how long it takes to fall asleep, how long (if I wake up in the middle of the night) am I wake, and when I wake up, etc....
http://project.wnyc.org/sleep/

Now I will be taking part in the team where I will turn off my computer and put away my cell phone an hour before actually going to bed. I believe that they will be asking additional questions but this part of the experiment will start on the 12th of May. I will be starting early to get into the habit.

I'm always in the habit of being on the computer or the internet of my phone til just about right before I go to bed.

How about you? Do you have any negative habits that might effect your sleep? Do you drink caffeine before bed? Stay on the computer til bedtime or watch tv until you fall asleep?

What's your prebedtime routine if you have any? Do you get a set amount of hours of sleep during the week? Do you get more or less sleep on the weekends? Etc....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,031 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 06:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wind down, from following what is going on with my fantasy team in baseball or football, which involves dismay or pleasure, or from trying to make the kitchen less a sloth-bizarre. Wanting to shut down, I go to bed and read, books or accumulated new yorkers, which I don't always read completely through the week they arrive, and I get interested in stuff I didn't know I was interested in, but soon drop off.

I always have two bedside lights on, a general no no, but I'm night blind and I like to be able to get around, and out the door in case of fire (another story) and the hell with advice to the contrary.

If they ever put me in some old age ward, I'll die from stress re lack of being able to see. When I was in the hospital last year for 5 days, it was a training mission by me to get aides to stop shutting out the light.

Being my age and so on, I need to get up in the night to pee, and that happens just after I wake from a dream. I savor the dream before it flys away. I pee, come back, read a third of a page and conk out. (read and repeat).

I have plenty of anxiety in my life but it affects my sleep less than before - the years of work and school at the same time. Chihuahua! Terrible to lose sleep back then, terrible. My desire to not worry is very strong, and I tend to put it into packaged moments when I'll attack the problem best I can. This is either wise or quite stupid.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 07:40 am
@ossobuco,
Last night was the first night I read before going to sleep (in a very very long time). Years and years....

Usually I also have to get up (usually one time a night) for a quick pee break but for some reason, this past week or two ... almost not. I wonder if my kidneys are just being passive aggressive in their laziness these nights. Wink
Ragman

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 07:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Are you timing your drinking (consciously or not) where your last drink is much earlier. Also are you limiting your salt intake in any way?

As far as my sleep log, I have to fall back on taking 'don't-give-a-****' pills to nod off these days.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 07:46 am
@Ragman,
Not consciously no.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 08:03 am
@tsarstepan,
I've probably done all of the above bad habits at one time or another before going to bed, but none on a regular basis. Maybe TV more often - but it is probably more likely that not planning to have the TV put me to sleep, but when watching I am just so darn tired that I fall asleep.

I do not have much of a routine before I go to sleep other than to make sure I brush my teeth and wash my face, however, it isn't necessarily immediately before I lay down.

I tend to go to sleep when I get tired or often times I am tired but I have work to do -- either actual work during busy times, or work related to home life (folding clothes, laundry, helping with homework). I do tend to get more sleep on weekends -- when my kids do not have games in early morning. I get up when I have to or if I don't -- I do enjoy sleeping in. So no set amount of hours --
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 08:08 am
@Linkat,
My nightly routine usually is to turn off my computer and/or TV. Brush my teeth then take my nightly meds. Get my water bottle from the fridge then go to bed.

These days also include going to the above mentioned website and signing in that I am going to sleep (to register the time).
Linkat

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 08:35 am
@tsarstepan,
I should add that I usually do not have trouble falling asleep -- probably due to exhaustion and lack of sleep. Occassionally though I will wake up and due to stress/dumb anxiety - you know the type something that seems so worrisome in the middle of the night, but isn't all that much of a problem during the day (real life); but it is more here and there and not frequently.

I also have very vivid dreams -- often times very action packed. Maybe while I love to sleep -- my dreams are much more fun and exciting than most movies/books and I am a part of the action.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 08:45 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

For almost a month or so, I've been participating in the crowdsourcing experiment being done by my NPR station, WNYC. Each night and morning I provide my sleep details. When I go to bed, how long it takes to fall asleep, how long (if I wake up in the middle of the night) am I wake, and when I wake up, etc....
http://project.wnyc.org/sleep/

Now I will be taking part in the team where I will turn off my computer and put away my cell phone an hour before actually going to bed. I believe that they will be asking additional questions but this part of the experiment will start on the 12th of May. I will be starting early to get into the habit.

I'm always in the habit of being on the computer or the internet of my phone til just about right before I go to bed.

How about you? Do you have any negative habits that might effect your sleep?
Do you drink caffeine before bed?
Stay on the computer til bedtime or watch tv until you fall asleep?

What's your prebedtime routine if you have any?
Do you get a set amount of hours of sleep during the week?
Do you get more or less sleep on the weekends? Etc....

No caffeine; I detest tea and dislike coffee.
I ofen fall asleep while on the computer
or while watching TV. This has resulted in swelling up below my knees.

No pre-bedtime routine and no designated bedtime.

No "set amount of hours of sleep during the week".
Frequently awaken for sanitary drainage,
or for no reason. Sometimes, in the middle of the nite,
I go for a walk. I 've done that, intermittently, for years.
In NY, I used a trip to the doughnut shop as an excuse for a walk.
The quality of the weather is significant in that. Now I walk to
the swimming pool and the hot tub.
Qua weekends: hours r fungible, the same as the rest of the week
(unless I have to go to the airport).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 05:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
How about you? Do you have any negative habits that might effect your sleep? Do you drink caffeine before bed? Stay on the computer til bedtime or watch tv until you fall asleep?

What's your prebedtime routine if you have any? Do you get a set amount of hours of sleep during the week? Do you get more or less sleep on the weekends? Etc....

I drink coffee in the evening, it works wonders, I am asleep almost immediately from it (only Red Bull and those pre-surgery medications they put through an I.V. can render me unconscious faster)

I used to stay attached to the computer up until I felt groggy enough for sleep, then realized that shutting down and placing the unit (laptop) back in it's holding cell reenergized me. Tele goes off at least a half hour prior to sleep unless I am feeling under the weather.

Yeah, my general 'routine' is to take a last minute visit to the bathroom, then brush teeth, rinse face with cool water, then check to make sure door is locked, all faucets are off and the doomie-jiggies on the stove that turn the gas on are shut off fully. While there, I make sure the refrigerator door is shut tight. Then, and only then I am ready for the next decision.

Sometimes a last minute food noshing, sometimes not. A few quick sips of water and then I lay down, listen to some music (either in the radio or through the phone (android) ). Do some last minute leg exercises, feel tired, shut the music off and attempt to sleep.

If the phone rings during these moments, there's a 99% chance I won't answer. Talking on the phone just screws up my sleeping ability as I end up with all that chatter stirring around on the outer banks of my brain-very annoying.

Mind you, the above is just a usual routine, I like to change things around occasionally.

Amount of sleep is usually between 5 and 8 hours (6 being an average in recent times), same schedule holds on the weekend. If I need more rest, there are the naps (something insanely new for me) in the afternoon which can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours (which really messes with my sleep for the upcoming night).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 07:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
I guess I'll wait till I go to sleep and then write down what time it is.
0 Replies