Is a church-goer a person with little faith?

SMickey

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:36 am
While having a chat with a person in Arizona, I was told that the term 'church-goer' is sort of a negative word.

I had thought the word 'church-goer' indicates people who go to church on a regular basis. And someone suggested that the expression 'church-goer' usually refers to those who go to church with little faith in God, thereby making the term sound a bit negative.

If I introduced myself as a church-goer, would you think that I go to church, but I' m not a sincere Christian?

contrex

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 01:26 pm
@SMickey,
I suppose the term might have a different meaning in Arizona, but here in England the term 'church-goer' is commonly used and it means just that - a person who goes to church regularly. It does not imply anything at all about a person's beliefs or lack of them. The attitude of the main churches seems to be that all are welcome and that the precise extent and strength of a person's faith is a matter for them and God. If you introduced yourself as 'a church-goer' I might assume that you had Christian beliefs of some sort, but I would consider it very bad manners and somewhat un-Christian to enquire how 'sincere' you are.
Setanta

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:07 pm
I've never heard anyone suggest that the term "church-goer" means someone of little faith.

However, i find it interesting that in North America, since Pew Research in the United States and Ipsos-Reid in Canada changed the content of their surveys on religions matters, ten percent of respondents who say that they regularly attend church say that they don't believe in god. However, i'd suggest that that would come as a surprise to most people, and that the term "church-goer" has never meant someone of little faith.
chai2

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:13 pm
@Setanta,
I concur.

I never thought of a church goer as someone with little faith.

It just means someone who goes to church.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
i find it interesting that in North America ... ten percent of respondents who say that they regularly attend church say that they don't believe in god. However, i'd suggest that that would come as a surprise to most people

It wouldn't come as any surprise to me, or many priests either, I tend to think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:37 pm
What you tend to do is to argue, even if you don't have a good basis. There is no established church in the United States, and there never had been one. Apples to oranges . . .
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:27 pm
@SMickey,
SMickey wrote:

While having a chat with a person in Arizona, I was told that the term 'church-goer' is sort of a negative word.

I have heard the expression 'church-goer' used in that negative sense only when applied to certain Roman Catholics who do not subscribe to the infallibility of the Pope nor to certain teachings of the Church but attend Mass regularly anyway because they think it is expected of them by their family or neighbors or whoever.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What you tend to do is to argue, even if you don't have a good basis. There is no established church in the United States, and there never had been one. Apples to oranges . . .
Were you having a crack at me there? And bringing the Church Of England into the equation? And as for the apples/oranges thing, what is that all about?

I was talking to a Reform rabbi a couple of weeks ago about this very topic, and he said he thought that people's faith waxes and wanes, evolves, and changes. The God he believed in at age 20 is not the God he believes in now. I work with a Muslim guy who says likewise. As for the Anglican tradition, in which I was brought up, that ten percent seems a little low, and my wife, a Roman Catholic agrees.
0 Replies

SMickey

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 07:14 am
@contrex,
Thank you. It was such an easy and helpful explanation. Thank you again for you time.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 07:36 am
@SMickey,
there was only one christian and he died on the cross
0 Replies