Later plagiarism detection and telling on someone

Betty11

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:35 am
Hi there, I have been recently informed about a fellow undergraduate student who has used a so-called "ghostwriter" to write an assignment for him. He got a good mark. This was last academic year and has obviously not been caught. Now, we were wondering how high the chances are that he will get busted at a later date and if we should say something to the academic integrity service at our university. I guess the chances of someone finding out at a later date will be low, as this was an undergraduate assignment and our first semester. So maybe we should say something?! It's a hard one because I don't like narking but I also find it very unfair, especially if he continues to cheat in the future. Any informed opinions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 766 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:47 am
@Betty11,
This guy's in violation of the ethics requirements of your school. It may be that by having knowledge of his actions, and not turning him, that you are, too.

Send an anonymous note if it makes you squeamish.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:16 am
Sounds like an ethics class assignment.
0 Replies

Betty11

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 03:18 pm
Yea, you're right, thanks for that :-). I have just sent my complaint. But just out of interest, does anybody know if they ever re-check undergraduate assignments for plagiarism later on? The reason I ask is that I read about a German politician, who has been caught for plagiarizing in her dissertation, 30 years later. My explanation was that usually doctorates are published, at least within the university so other readers would have picked up on it. But could this also happen with an undergraduate assignment? I presume no-one would be interested in reading somebody else's rather unsophisticated first assignment...?! Any thoughts or experiences?
0 Replies