Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 07:24 pm
Personally, even at my best driving capabilities, I was afraid of highway 5, the looming trucks way over speed while tailing, wanting you away even if you were hugely over speed limit. Part of why I would give hours away to do 101, instead, besides it being much more interesting.

My business partner drove it routinely, though (she was a rodeo rider in early days).

This is apropos of the horrific fed ex truck and bus crash.
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/27/35/70/6151731/14/628x471.jpg

I figure there are proximate reasons this all happened. Still, I think there is a highway to nowhere thing about highway 5 that makes people blotto.

Me, I haven't taken it very far north of Sacramento; that might be a different scenario.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,137 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 07:28 pm
I have only been in Sacramento one time. I no longer know any of the highways around there. We have been having fatality accidents around Houston, almost daily this month, it seems. Many involving big rigs and such. But I agree that some roads are more scary to drive than others.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have just remembered, probably to my shame for not being more vocal than I already was.

I had a painting show happening in Sacramento. I probably got noticed since I applied having gotten a note to even ask because of knowing about it from someone. Or maybe I merited it, who knows.
Anyway, a state truck picked me up, the paintings already pillowed and packed by me.

****, he drove around a hundred, some sort of state pass. Of course I grumbled, but eh.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:34 pm
@ossobuco,
5 changes personality at Sacramento.

much greener and more friendly.

all the way to Seattle...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:42 pm
@Rockhead,
I've suspected that, and sorry I never've really driven it above Sacramento. Some few miles, maybe off of 20, I'd have to look at a map. Whatever, driven in a hurry.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 12:21 am
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I am not just figuring the truck driver was sloppy. Maybe he was carrying cargo he didn't know about that was explosive.
0 Replies