I have Disturbed a Bird's Nest

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:54 pm
While trimming a tall bush, I found a bird's nest full of tiny babies. I tied a couple of the branches that I had cut back to the tree to give the nest more support and protection, but I'm worried about it. I've seen one of the parents checking me out when I've checked on the nest throughout the day, so does that mean the babies will still be taken care of? I wonder if I should do anything else or just leave it alone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,002 • Replies: 28
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:55 pm
If you haven't touched the babies the mother should continue to feed them.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:57 pm
Thank you. I could not remember if I had to touch them or not for the mother to abandon them. That is a relief.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 06:34 pm
I think that thing about touching the babies is a myth. Have you watched the parent birds to see if they're flying to the nest?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:21 pm
Leave them alone--and stop feeling terribly guilty.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:25 pm
littlek, you touch 'em you own 'em...lol
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:31 pm
If the mother is still flying back and forth feeding the babies then everything is okay.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:56 pm
panzade wrote:
littlek, you touch 'em you own 'em...lol

Laughing That is a good one!

I watched the nest for a while and the mother went back to feed them. Thank goodness. Hopefully the "prop-job" I did with the side of the nest will hold up. I can tell that this will become my obsession until these things are big enough to fly.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:58 pm
Isn't it fun to watch nature at work?..I used to breed Angel fish and got the same kick out of it.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:03 pm
It is indeed amazing, Panzade. A question: Do fish have nests or do the babies swim from birth?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:04 pm
Oh, good!!

I've been actually actively restraining myself from looking for bird's nests this year as I seem to be some kind of curse. Maybe some people here remember my distress at the disappearance of... were they robin's eggs? What I remember is that a snake was suggested as the likely culprit. :-( My neighbors had ducks lay eggs in their yard, they were fine for a long time, then I asked to see them... oops, a raccoon or something had got them. :-( So I'm just not looking for any since it's too distressing when it doesn't work out AND I want to do what I can about neutralizing the curse.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:11 pm
Some mother fish make nests of bubbles, like the Betta. Some pick up the eggs in their mouths where the babies hatch like the Cichlid mouth-breeders. The mother Angelfish glues the eggs to a flat rock where the daddy fertilizes them. Then she chases him away so he won't eat them...lol
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:12 pm
Sorry about your horrible curse, Sozobe. Perhaps you can live vicariously through me and my new children. Smile

Knock on wood.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:13 pm
bella - the mama/papa bird will make any neccessary repairs to the nest. Don't you worry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:15 pm
I'll live vicariously, thanks for the opportunity! However if anything happens to those little babies I'm going to have to visit the exorcist or something.

Knock on wood.

Very good sign that the mama is feeding them.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:16 pm
That is amazing about the fish. The mouth breeders sound a bit strange, but amazing none-the-less!
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:22 pm
Thank you for the words of comfort, littlek! That is good to know. Another amazing feat of nature to watch for.

Sozobe, perhaps there is some sort of reverse-bird-curse hex available? I will look for one for you! Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:27 pm
Please do! I'll reward you handsomely if you find it! :-)
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 11:07 pm
Quote:
SPELLS TO REMOVE A CURSE

This is a simple spell to do and is most effective in removing a curse. Most important it sends the curse back to its original source seven times worse.

You will need to know the name and birthdate of the person who placed the curse on you. You will need two candles eight inches long, one black, one white.

If you cant find eight inch candles just get longer candles and cut them to size. You will also need a heavy duty safety pin and a bag of charcoal.

If the person your sending the curse back to is male you will need the Knight of swords tarot card, and if it is a female you will need the Queen of swords tarot card.

Carry out the spell only on a full moon between the hours of twelve midnight and one in the morning. You will need to find two spots.

The first spot must be a piece of land where nothing grows. Dig a hole twelve inches deep and wide.

Fill the hole with the charcoal. Now find a piece of land where there is green grass near a tree or bush.

Using a knife make seven circles around the white candle one inch apart. Place the white candle in the green grass.

Using a different knife make seven circles in the black candle. Now on the bottom seven segments of the candle using the safety pin engrave the name and birthdate of the accused.

Also engrave the word "drevida". Light the white candle, then light the black candle.

Repeat these words until both candles have burnt down to end of first section. "creo del macres ete prestwer".

Extinguish both candles. Engrave name and birthdate of accused on tarot card and bury with candle in charcoal.

Bury white candle in ground next to tree. The curse will be removed within seven days.

Sounds complicated.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 11:38 pm
Almost all birds have a very poor sense of smell, so touching the eggs or picking up the young that fall on the ground is okay. Whenever I find a young bird on the ground, I put it back in a tree so the mother can feed it and the cats won't get it.

I once saw a nest at water's edge on a small tree. I pulled on a branch and bent the tree to see the eggs. I saw the eggs, but the branch slipped out of my hand, and the eggs catapulted out into the water. Talk about guilt!
0 Replies