Which book based movie is your favourite?

Setanta

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
Nope. As Chamberlain aged after the battle, he went from saving his brigade, to saving the army to, eventually (when he was running for governor of Maine) saving the nation. There were five regiments in Col. Strong Vincent's brigade. It was a good thing that the 20th Maine held. But if any of the other four regiments had broken, the brigade would have been swamped. It would not have spelled disaster for Meade's army, although it would certainly have been awkward. On that basis alone, Chamberlain's claim can be dismissed.

However, men in the 20th Maine, not initially aware of the claims Chamberlain was making, began to dispute his version of events as his narrative became public. I recommend The Gettysburg Nobody Knows by Gabor Boritt, Director of the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College (Oxford University Press, 1997). One of the articles in his book carefully reviews Chamberlain's claims, and the contradicting testimony of private soldiers and officers who were veterans of the 20th Maine.

Both Shaara's novel and the motion picture are poor in detail, and so give a distorted view of the course of the battle. John Buford, commanding the First Cavalry Division, had moved into an encampment west of the town. He sent out vedettes to keep an eye on Lee's army, which was known to be to the west, and marching north. His troopers skirmished with Heth's infantry on the morning of June 30. Late on June 30, his patrols found Lee's army, but the portion they made contact with, Harry Heth's division, wasn't moving. Early on the morning of July 1, his patrols raced in to tell him that the Confederates were marching east. As it happened, that was Heth's division, about 7000 strong (Lee's divisions were massive compared to those of the Federal army) and Pender's division, only slightly smaller. Buford began the day with no back-up, and he only had two the three brigades of his division. His troopers put a stiff resistance, certainly, but from the novel and the movie, one would think that's all that happened on the first day. Cavalry were expensive, expensive to train, expensive to equip and expensive to replace. As soon as Reynold's First Corps came up, Buford retired. Riding northeast from McPherson's Ridge, the encountered and captured a major portion of Archer's brigade from Pender's division. That was the end of Buford's Gettysburg, and he had done very well.

But then the novel and the movie move on to the second day, as though nothing else happened on the first day. First Brigade, First Division, First Corps, command by Col. Merritt, stopped both Heth and Pender long enough for the rest of that corps as well as XIth Corps to come up. They suffered 80% casualties in that fight, but retired in good order, taking their dead and wounded with them. They had fought Heth and Pender to a standstill. You'd never know it from the book or the movie.

I'm just barely started, but i think you get the point. I suspect you know enough about the battle to know just how much hogwash there is in that movie.

(A good account of Buford can be found in The Cavalry at Gettysburg, Edward Longacre--sorry i don't have a publisher or date--some time in the 1980s.)
Setanta

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:19 pm
Yeah, Rap, Buford never got the credit he deserved.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:24 pm
The first photo is Joshuah Chamberlain, a college professor who turned politician after the war. He is one of American history's great self-promoting BS artists. The second photo is of John Buford of Kentucky. He was highly educated, having attended Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois before entering the USMA, Class of 1848. I believe he was 15th in a class of about 40. I thought Sam Elliott was bad casting for the role of Buford, but that's not a big deal. He made him sound like some hillbilly turned cowboy, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:24 pm
@Setanta,
Weve dissected Chamberlains claim before and are fairly in agreement (as real history provides).
The state of Maine has always had some lesser gods. I think I woulda made a bigger deal over Winslow Homer
Setanta

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
Homer . . . Homer . . . was he that commercial artist feller?
farmerman

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:52 pm
@Setanta,
lived in Prouts neck

Course we got Longfellow, Linda Kasabian, and Steve King.
0 Replies

vonny

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 04:07 am
The Shining - Stephen King
Germlat

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:19 am
@vonny,
The Joy Luck Club--Amy Tan
tsarstepan

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:56 am
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

The Shining - Stephen King

Well said Vonny! Well said! Very Happy Cool
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 07:25 am
@Germlat,
Another never saw the movie, but loved the book.
Germlat

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 07:16 pm
@Linkat,
The movie was quite good. I enjoyed it.
0 Replies

Germlat

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 07:19 pm
@Linkat,
Did you read Memoirs Of A Geisha? Well...the book was awesome. The movie was descent.
vonny

Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:23 am
Papillon, by Henri Charrière - I seem to remember that this was made into a pretty decent film.
0 Replies

raprap

Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:50 am
Dr Strangelove as based upon the book "Red Alert."

The book is forgettable.

Rap
Linkat

Tue 8 Apr, 2014 07:27 am
@Germlat,
No - I do not think I read the book. Maybe have to add to my list.

I know I haven't seen the movie. I read alot more than I watch.
0 Replies

panzade

Tue 8 Apr, 2014 07:45 am
To Kill A Mockingbird was a superior book.
What do you guys think of the movie?
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 8 Apr, 2014 08:50 am
Memoirs of a Geisha was indeed an excellent novel. I never bothered with the movie, which i suspected would mostly be about cinematography rather than the interior life of the title character.
Pamela Rosa

Wed 9 Apr, 2014 01:20 pm
''Perfume: The Story of a Murderer''
and
''Solaris''
0 Replies

raprap

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 09:35 pm
I read Ben Hur when I was twenty five or so--at least ten years after the movie was released. My Dad had read the book but refused to see the movie because he had heard someone was killed making the chariot scene and he felt 'no movie was worth a life.' Dad was a professional warrior, so he tended consider the economics of killing professionally and I never saw Ben Hur on the big screen.

As a small screen movie it didn't impress. The Book is another matter--especially when you consider the author. Lew Wallace accomplishments as an author are nowhere near his accomplishments elsewhere--and as a 'political' general during the civil war he demonstrated that he understood the 'economics of killing' as the Indiana militia carried Henry Repeaters and Wallace was one of the first to use Gatling Guns in battle. As a former warrior Wallace abhored killing, consequently the theme of Ben Hur can be taken as autobiographical.

I think Wallace would have agreed with my dad--no movie is worth a life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Wallace

Rap
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 09:37 pm
@raprap,
I didn't know that story. But, I saw Ben Hur on the big screen and loved it.
0 Replies