Which book based movie is your favourite?

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:30 am
which movie (based on a book) do you like most? And why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 34 • Views: 8,576 • Replies: 85
Topic Closed

tsarstepan

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:03 am
@Krrypton,
The Silence of the Lambs (1991): I read both book and the movie is on my top ten favorite films of all time. The movie is pretty faithful to the book.

But the acting in the movie is legendary. Jodie Foster's Oscar nominated role is a perfect example to teach acting students about subtly. She's the perfect foil for Anthony Hopkins' brilliant insanity that's Hannibal Lector.

And even though I don't consider Silence of the Lambs a horror movie, it's pretty scary 0n-the-edge-of-ones-seat thriller stuff.
wandeljw

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:10 am
A surprisingly effective movie was made from Ken Follet's Eye of the Needle. Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan were very good.
Linkat

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:47 am
@Krrypton,
I usually do not like movies made from a book particularly when I've read the book first.

For some reason, Misery comes to mind as one I did like. Nancy Bates was fantastic. She played it so well, that I'd worry if I ever met her in person.

But I am sure there are others -- simply that movie just jumped into mind.

Silence of the Lambs was a great movie -- but I never read the book. I think some times when I see a movie and really like it -- I tend not to want to read the book afterwards maybe because I find then I am dissapointed with the movie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:56 am
Cutter's Way, 1981, for the adapted story, the acting, the directing, the cinematography, Jack Neitzsche's score, the location itself. One of my long time favorite movies.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cutters_way/

The book was Cutter and Bone by Newton Thornburg; 1976. I liked it too.
0 Replies

saab

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 08:38 am
I enjoyed the films "Fried GreenTomatoes" and
"The Color Purple"
I enjoyed both books very much and aslo the films.
farmerman

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 11:32 am
@saab,
Lonesome Dove,
ossobuco

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 11:53 am
@farmerman,
Didn't read or see it, thanks for the reminder. That was McMurtry, wasn't it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 12:12 pm
The Grapes of Wrath. Up until the ending it kept up the flavor of the novel. It only let us down in the final scene. It would have been great, if the overview of the great migration could have been kept in, also, but then it would have been too long to watch in a sitting.
0 Replies

panzade

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 01:42 pm
Catch-22 or Slaughterhouse 5
Toss up
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 03:49 pm
Manhunter, the version of Red Dragon that was done in the eighties was very good. It was a more modest production compared to the two-thousands' movie of the same name, but the psychological aspect was compelling.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 03:52 pm
Milagro Beanfield War
Germlat

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 04:21 pm
@roger,
Interview With a Vampire was great. I enjoy gothic themes. Anne Rice's book was great. I initially had doubts the movie would be any good...with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt....but, I really enjoyed it.
tsarstepan

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 04:37 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

A surprisingly effective movie was made from Ken Follet's Eye of the Needle. Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan were very good.

I'm not familiar with that movie. Was the theme song something like:
It's the Eye of the Needle
It's the thrill of the knit
Rising up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known tailor
Stitches his pullover in the night
And he's watching us all
With the Eye of the Needle
0 Replies

vonny

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 03:15 am
@Krrypton,
King Rat
The Dirty Dozen
Gone with the Wind

Good books - good films!
Krrypton

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 03:50 am
@tsarstepan,
I loved The Silence Of The Lambs too. A very good film.
0 Replies

vonny

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 03:59 am
@Krrypton,
Dead Man Walking
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 06:40 am
The Wizard of Oz

love all the books in the series
adore the movie
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 06:47 am
@vonny,
James Clavell, author of King Rat, was imprisoned in Changi Road prison camp. He says that there was an American prisoner who saved his life, and the lives of many others, and that the American in King Rat was based on that man. They did a wonderful job with the motion picture.
roger

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 11:44 am
@Setanta,
I think I've read everything Clavell ever wrote, and I didn't know that.