Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:17 pm
Hi, I have just joined today in hopes of getting help. My neighbor passed away recently and his son gave my children his rock collection. I have been able to identify about 40 of them but I am having trouble with these.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-42stzaZuYpU/UzdhiGJJjmI/AAAAAAAACzU/qALdbf1UypU/w737-h553-no/2014-03-29

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZqoxVvx6iaE/UzdiK9amLjI/AAAAAAAAC0A/85FdSA4Vmis/w737-h553-no/2014-03-29

Thank you for your time:)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 16
No top replies

attaylor

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:34 pm
@attaylor,
I would like to add the the big blue one in the first picture is crumbly.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:16 pm
@attaylor,
I'm going to guess that the blue ones may be rough unpolished Turquoise. I don't know about the others, but I'll let Farmerman know about your thread and I'm sure he will have a better idea.
attaylor

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Oh ok, thank you very much!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:35 pm
@attaylor,
Another guess at the blue one is Chrysocolla.
http://www.livingrockstudios.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Chrysocolla-1-600-300x225.jpg
rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:36 pm
@attaylor,
Are the white ones partially tumbled/polished already, or is that their natural state?
attaylor

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:42 pm
@rosborne979,
I really don't know. They do not have rough edges but they were just handed to us in a bag. The son didn't know much about them but he will be bringing me more tomorrow.
0 Replies

attaylor

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:44 pm
@rosborne979,
Is Chrysocolla flaky? The one in the picture leaves a sort of dust if you rub it to hard.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:48 pm
@attaylor,
attaylor wrote:
Is Chrysocolla flaky? The one in the picture leaves a sort of dust if you rub it to hard.

I don't know. I'm just going by gut instinct on some of this, based purely on the visual.

Farmerman is our resident geologist. He's having trouble with his PC right now but I'm sure he'll be along shortly to help out.
attaylor

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:53 pm
@rosborne979,
I really appreciate it:) I don't know much about these things at all. The other ones I found on an online glossary lol
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:58 pm
@attaylor,
No 1 could be several things, you can look em up
Azurite, Chalcophyllite, cyano trichite, or dumortierite. Each ahs special clues to it.
My first choice is the azurite. A quick way is to put a drop of MURIATIC ACID (BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET IT ON YOUR HANDS OR LET YOUR KID EVEN NEAR IT)> The acid will cause the azurite to fizz weakly (its a carbonate mineral so acid on a carbonate is like alka seltzer in a weak acid). Same thing for cyanotrichite except its fizz is very weak. If it fizzes at all , Id say its azurite. There are many other blue minerals but the style of this one limits its possibilities.
If it doesn't fizz, can you see light through it?. Let me know and we can work on it together

2The second pic is called Cryptocrystalline quartz, most likely chalcedony. Its a common semi precious stone that is used for cabochons and tumbled rocks.
It was also used for tool making by the early native americans.
attaylor

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:04 pm
@farmerman,
I can not see through the blue ones. I will have to order the acid. I live in WA in the middle of nowhere so a store is probably out of the question. Is the dust coming off it "bad", should the kids handle it?

The white ones, that's awesome . Thank you so much.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
What does cryptocrystaline mean? How come the rocks look rounded and not crystalline?
roger

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 10:40 pm
@attaylor,
Often, you can get muriatic acid at those home improvement stores that are big on cement work. Of course, Washington does have some really small towns. . . .
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 04:55 am
@attaylor,
Im pretty sure its azurite because of the "crumbly" and cant se through it. (Well wait to see the fizz test before we make more complex guesses).
You may want to try vinegar but sometims vingar isn't atrong nough to cue fizzing unless you smash a small chunk into powder.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 04:59 am
@rosborne979,
cryptocrystalline quartz just means "Teeny weeny crystals".
Quartz can appear as a dense rock that tumbles in a stream or in a rock tumbler just like we see in the ones posted.
The coloris kind of a giveaway. I call it a "Greasy" look which is often called "bacon fat" by the rockhounds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 05:04 am
@roger,
I wish I could come up with a standard mix of a stronger vinegar for new rockhounds and kids so they don't get burned like they can with HCl (muriatic acid).
I buy concentrated HCl from a mining supply company and I make a 0.3 NORMAL solution. Its still very able to induce fizzing but Id not want any kids to be in the field with a bottle of that stuff in their packs. That's why the muriatic acid is usually even more dilute than 0.3N.(you just want to clean the cement, not dissolve it away)
0 Replies