Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:41 pm
I don't know about sightings, but I definitely have a sense of a phantom smell or unique feeling that the dog that I grew up with carried around.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:44 pm
Do you ever wake up at night after a dream about someone or something deceased only to find them in every shadow and every pile of clothing in your room? That happens to me evenn in the middle of the day when I think about her...

So I suppose I believe in pet spirits. Just because they aren't human doesn't mean that they don't have one...perhaps that's a purely christian belief-that we were created different from the animals around us.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:45 pm
I have heard stories about people who owned pets that see or hear rustlings, or papers and stuff being disturbed, just where the pet used to wander.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:46 pm
Cav--

Intuition is a great aide for spiritualism, that's for sure.

I remember consulting an Ouija board with an older (teenaged) cousin when I was about 11. She wanted to know how old she would be when she married, and was disappointed when the board said 23- even though that turned out to be fairly accurate. Details -such as her futute husband would flee and join the Merchant Marine after leaving her pregnant at 18, returning to do the "right" thing five years later, only to turn out to be a wife beater who would die from a heart attack 20 years later and many years after they had divorced, a decade before she died of cancer herself -were not volunteered by the all-knowing board.

I guess it might have been useful to press for a few more details.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
And then again, perhaps all that constitutes a spirit is the same thing that makes up phantom pains in a lost leg: a subconscious memory. Human beings were created with every facility dedicated to the furthering of life but there are no systems in our body created to defend against the effects of a lost loved one. We want to feel them, and just like the sweat that we feel from a hot day on an imaginary beach or the regretful effects of a wet dream, we make them real.

Are they really there or not? Is all the world just a figment of our imagination? I think that regardless of the fact that we created their image in our mind they can be just as real as what we think of as reality.

That's just the long route to saying that yes, spirits-of any kind-regularly 'visit' us despite the fact that there is no possible way for them to do so.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:53 pm
Whoops...that post was supposed to be the ending to my mini-trilogy.

Cav, any rustling can occur anywhere and be brought about by a simple breath or silent start of an air conditioning unit. We may simply choose to believe that just because something used to be in that space often when it was alive that it is there again as a phantom.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
Individual, the subconscious memory is a fascinating thing indeed. I could explain 'phantoms' and 'ghosts' quite easily. However, I do think that what prompts these 'visions' is a powerful part of the mind we do not yet understand.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
What part of the mind do we understand?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
Hmm...spelling error, I meant "It could", not "I could". I have no idea how to explain the mind and its complexities. Neither do the experts, it seems.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
Summer is ended.

That is what God said to my brother. It was told to me by my mother who was a very stoic and pragmatic woman.

You must understand that my brother was a wild card, not given to revelations...He often challenged my mother about her faith.

He was a tremendous athlete, a fantastic vocalist...and a square peg in a round hole.

He dropped out of high school to enlist, and survived the death march, only to die in a prison camp somewhere in the Philippines..

Pets...Pets? Of course, we love our pets, but I will never have another.

Goodnight, my friends,
from Florida
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:18 pm
Assuming that we see our deceased pets because our subconscious is creating the image, what use could this be for us?

Like I said, everything is made for survival, so how does hallucinating help us? A sense of security, familiarity, tradition?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:22 pm
Greyfan wrote:
Cav--

Intuition is a great aide for spiritualism, that's for sure.

I remember consulting an Ouija board with an older (teenaged) cousin when I was about 11. She wanted to know how old she would be when she married, and was disappointed when the board said 23- even though that turned out to be fairly accurate. Details -such as her futute husband would flee and join the Merchant Marine after leaving her pregnant at 18, returning to do the "right" thing five years later, only to turn out to be a wife beater who would die from a heart attack 20 years later and many years after they had divorced, a decade before she died of cancer herself -were not volunteered by the all-knowing board.

I guess it might have been useful to press for a few more details.

That's why Ouija boards are scary stuff.

When Mrs. cav and I got married, it wasn't an easy thing for my family. She wasn't Jewish, and oy, she was a Catholic, with half a Muslim family! The pain...

I visited my grandmother in the hospital while she was near death from cancer, and her last dying request to me was "Marry a Jewish girl."

I didn't. I also didn't tell my wife about this. Some months into our marriage, she told me that my grandmother came to her in a dream and said "You're okay, I approve." That was really spooky.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:23 pm
Individual wrote:
Assuming that we see our deceased pets because our subconscious is creating the image, what use could this be for us?

Like I said, everything is made for survival, so how does hallucinating help us? A sense of security, familiarity, tradition?

Yes, I would agree with all of that. Whether or not it's hallucinatory, if it helps us move on and survive, all the better.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:53 pm
My cat (yiddy) died about 7 months ago, she was 17 years old. I also have another cat.(pigsy) (they were friends) It seems since yiddy has been gone my other cat pigsy does things that yiddy used to do, things that pigsy had never done. I've always wondered if it was like yiddy coming through pigsy's body, kinda thing, if ya get me. But then again, it's probably just me missing my yiddy cat.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:55 pm
Awww...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:21 pm
Ok, here's my story. I had a cat for 15 years. She was my best friend and I loved her dearly. She (menue) use to sleep either on my pillow with me every night or on my legs. When she died I was living with my sons father. A few nights after she died while lying in bed I would feel her on my legs and sit up white as a ghost. My ex asked me what was wrong and when I told him I could feel menue on my legs, he thought I was just so devistated from her death that I imagined things. Then a few nights later, my ex wakes up, comes walking in the kitchen white as a ghost saying that he had just felt the same thing I had. I can't explain it, but I just know it happened.

Ok, you can all make fun of me now.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:36 pm
Hmmm, cool story Montana... sent shivers, anyway, up my back!

Our cat died this winter and several times I've thought I'd seen him through the door glass and absent-mindedly walked over to open the door. I'm sure it is just a weird trick of light. Nevertheless, it makes me feel strange to catch myself with my hand on the doorknob, ready to let the little fella in.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:06 am
I hear ya Piffka. Sent shivers up my spine too, but I wasn't scared, just shocked.

I believe in spirits simply because of some experiences I've had.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:54 am
Experiences with other than animals, you mean?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:07 am
Although a little embarrassed to admit it, as a pre-teen, I was absolutely convinced that I had a ghost as a friend. I did some research and there had been a death just outside my old house. Spooky. Now, Reagan continues to put food out for his dead dog, but he has Alzheimer's. Still, it makes me sad, because his dog was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, like mine! When he dies, I wouldn't be surprised if I did the same thing, just out of grief.
0 Replies