Help on repairing a Sony portable CD player

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 01:42 pm
I've got a portable CD player (sony, model no. DE350) and whenever I put a Cd in, it clicks a little and the display reads "no disc". I've opened it and fixed some of the problem (the lazer was off it's track), but it still says "no disc".

I'm not very scared of ruining it at this point, sine it already won't work. What I'm looking for is anyone or any site who might be able to tell me how to fix it myself. If not I'll just have to buy a new one, which I can't afford right now.

Thanks in advance! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,469 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:30 am
Most general-consumer CD players, particularly portable types, cost less as a working unit than the parts and labor required to effect physical repair. Even In-Warranty service generally consists of swapping out the unit. You might try cleaning the laser lens with lint-free swabs and lens-cleaning fluid, and maybe carefully lubricating the tracks the laser tray assembly rides on, but beyond that, there's not much thats practical you can do. If the laser tray assembly was off its tracks, it very well could have been to to shock from a blow, such as having been dropped, which miss-aligned the laser or damaged some other component. A possibility would be to scavenge appropriate functioning parts from a similar unit which has failed for some other reason, but likely that's not too practical an option unless you've got a workbench full of stuff to start with.
0 Replies

pragmatica

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:44 pm
Nah, I wasn't going to get it professionally fixed; that would be just pointless in all scenarios. I'll just uh, buy a new one then.
0 Replies