How do you make white pasta sauce ?

slesiuk

Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:02 am
How do you make white pasta sauce ? I can use creme of mushroom soup and milk and what else ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 2,855 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:08 am
@slesiuk,
Oh, please don't. Canned soups are full of bad goo goo, but real besciamella is delicious.

listen to Mario or some of the rest of us -

http://rouxbe.com/recipes/1131-mario-batalis-besciamella/text
Miss L Toad

Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:25 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
How do you make white pasta sauce ?

First select only the finest white pasta from your bespoke grocer. Gently saute then simmer stirring continuously until white peaks appear in the resulting sauce.

Molto Mario is my fave Italian chef. Well I remember the time he told me that "cooking is about heat transference" and he wasn't even joking.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Mario_Batali%2C_2005.jpg/220px-Mario_Batali%2C_2005.jpg
ossobuco

Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:33 am
@Miss L Toad,
I don't think that would work, you'd need some sauce.
Miss L Toad

Sun 16 Mar, 2014 05:45 am
@ossobuco,
That's as saucy as I'm getting, I prefer your recipe.
0 Replies

stevem13

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 02:57 am
Instead of white sauce for pasta, I will suggest cheese sauce. Have a look at the recipe below.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cube chicken bouillon, crumbled
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup 2% milk
ground white pepper to taste
Directions
Melt butter and margarine in a saucepan over medium-low heat; stir in flour and bouillon until roux is well blended. Continue to cook and stir until thickened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium and whisk water into roux until smooth. Stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes more. Season with white pepper.
JoeBaker

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 06:15 am
@slesiuk,
White sauce is a simple but versatile sauce that is one of the very first recipes taught to chefs.
Ingredients-
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 Cup milk (optionally heated)
1/4 Teaspoon salt
Dash white peppe

Melt butter. Then Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Whisk this mixture into the melted butter, combining until smooth and paste-like.
Cook until bubbly, heat over medium heat until the mixture bubbles without letting it brown - about 1 minute, then add milk slowly ,Whisk until smooth, Cook until thickened and smooth.
Now your white sauce is ready to serve and serve as hot it is.
InfraBlue

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 09:44 am
@stevem13,
So, where's the cheese?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 09:48 am
That's the classic white sauce recipe. It doesn't need cheese to be a white sauce. One can, of course, add cheese if that is one's preference.
ossobuco

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 09:53 am
@Setanta,
In italiano, besciamella:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/besciamella-sauce-recipe.html

If you look up besciamella, you'll find some recipes have added parmigiano, but that's just that, additive to the classic recipe, as Setanta said.

I don't make this myself. I saute sliceed mushrooms in butter, usually adding some minced garlic (I would...) and a dash of chile pepper (or parsley or some other variation), s & p, add half and half without flour, and cook it down. Joking, I call it semi-alfredo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:23 am
I'm not a big fan of parmagiano, so i would use a very dry, aged Romano.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:10 am
@JoeBaker,
JoeBaker wrote:

White sauce is a simple but versatile sauce that is one of the very first recipes taught to chefs.
Ingredients-
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 Cup milk (optionally heated)
1/4 Teaspoon salt
Dash white peppe

Melt butter. Then Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Whisk this mixture into the melted butter, combining until smooth and paste-like.
Cook until bubbly, heat over medium heat until the mixture bubbles without letting it brown - about 1 minute, then add milk slowly ,Whisk until smooth, Cook until thickened and smooth.
Now your white sauce is ready to serve and serve as hot it is.

I wouldn't use this sauce this way...but I love it for other dishes.

I would, however, say that heating the milk before adding it to the seasoned rue...is must for a smooth sauce.

It took me a long time to finally get that (I thought it to be an unnecessary, cosmetic move)...but once gotten, it is not forgotten.
JoeBaker

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for the suggestion. Test of the sauce will be depend on the herb and spices you used for the seasoning. One can make change as per their test. The reason why i put milk as 'optionally heated' in braces is the same, one can prefer as per their test.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I would, however, say that heating the milk before adding it to the seasoned rue...is must for a smooth sauce.

No, one should be hot and the other cold, it does not matter which is which.
Frank Apisa

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 04:48 am
@hawkeye10,
I've made white sauce dozens upon dozens of times, Hawk...and without the warming of the milk...the result always ends up less smooth (with some lumps).

The rue always has to be hot...the adding of the milk must come immediately after the heating and par cooking of the rue.

You may have other experience with this...and I know of big name cooks who suggest cold milk. But this is my experience...and I am suggesting Slesiuk try it.

It is a great sauce...and I use it when I make my "Turkish Delight...a leek, cheese, meat, eggplant, filo dough, concoction, ."

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_1851turkishdelight_zpsa14eb7a2.jpg
0 Replies