I'm Confused On Darwins Theory

rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 07:13 pm
@DoIt,
DoIt wrote:
Ok, so I'm doing a resreach project on Darwins Theory of Evolution By Natural Selection and I don't understand why it is claimed a theory?
You're doing a research project and you don't know what a scientific theory is? I think you need to ask your teachers to give you some background on general scientific methodology. What grade is this for (i.e. what grade are you in)?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 07:37 pm
@DoIt,
DoIt wrote:
THEORY = FACT? SOMEONE PLEASE CONFORIM THAT

Biological evolution is a scientific fact. All evidence confirms it and no evidence contradicts it. In addition, there are no other scientific theories even proposed to compete with it. It has been considered a scientific fact for well over a hundred years.

The Theory of Evolution by means of Natural Selection is simply the description of the mechanism by which the fact of evolution functions.

There is absolutely no legitimate debate within the scientific community regarding the fact of biological evolution. If someone or something has convinced you otherwise then you have been misled.

DoIt wrote:
And is MACROEVOLUTION FACT?

Yes, it's a fact. The whole thing is a fact. Biological evolution is a fact. It is also the cornerstone of all biological knowledge. Nothing in biology even makes any sense without it.

What school are you in? What country? What grade level?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 08:37 pm
@DoIt,
Quote:
Rosborne:
DoIt wrote:
Quote:
And is MACROEVOLUTION FACT?

Yes, it's a fact.

See what I mean?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/dead+wood

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 09:10 pm
@DoIt,
DoIt wrote:

Thank you Brandom for googling theory for me

Although my inital question at hand is why is darwins theories aruged.

Although not explicitly stated im pretty sure anyone can make sense of that.

It's argued because some people simply don't like the conclusions.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 09:41 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
.. .. they are defending it because they do not like the prospects of having to defend or explain some expect of their lifestyles to God, St. Peter, or some other member of that crowd.
Long posts are tiresome. Allow me to focus on the central reason of 'It must have happened. Just give it more time. "
neologist

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 09:44 pm
@DoIt,
If there's a mini pad, there must be a maxi pad.
Similarly, if there's a micro anything, there must be a macro anything.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 10:02 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Long posts are tiresome. Allow me to focus on the central reason of 'It must have happened. Just give it more time. "

Short version:
Two old rednecks from Alabama were buying watermelons in Fla. for $2, hauling them to Chicago in their truck, and selling them for $2. They eventually noticed that they weren't making any money, held a big business meeting, and determined that they needed a bigger truck.

Evolutionites are basically trying to do the same thing with time that the rednecks were doing with truck size.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/icebear46/evo-lotion2_zps85c71ec3.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 02:39 am
@DoIt,
You're the one who needs to get their facts straight. Gravity is a theory and a law. I don't know what your problem is. It's really quite simple, Brandon and Edgar have both put it in terms even my non scientific brain can grasp.

Bottom line, you're lashing out at others because you're too thick to grasp what is a pretty basic concept.
http://thehappyscientist.com/science-experiment/gravity-theory-or-law
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 03:52 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
If there's a mini pad, there must be a maxi pad.
Similarly, if there's a micro anything, there must be a macro anything.

Cite your source.
neologist

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
A spoof; and simply my sardonic wit. - not to be confused with my love of sardines.
But derived from my years of observing teenaged daughters and their maxi mini micro macro mega mooga whatevers.
0 Replies

DarkCrow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 01:47 pm
What I love about science is that theories can be "revised" when new evidence is presented and accepted by the larger scientific community. Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson deals with this subject very well in several videos on U tube. Dr. Tyson has a great chat about Darwin also. Bottom line is we know very little about ourselves and the Universe and there are things we will probably never know. And that's okay.

I like the proposition that the gravity causing our known Universe to expand is the interaction of mass between multiverses. Woooot! (The Doctor knows)

We used to joke about Absolute Zero. We would tease the Chem Prof that we thought here were no absolutes in science. Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 11:27 pm
@DoIt,
Check this out

http://ncse.com/evolution/education/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

It might help
0 Replies

justforme23

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 04:04 pm
@DoIt,
It's called a theory because it is not a law.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 04:19 pm
@justforme23,
justforme23 wrote:

It's called a theory because it is not a law.

It is called a theory in science because it is confirmed to be true.
justforme23

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Then you are still calling it a theory
a law does not make it a theory
and a theory cant make it lawful, scientists call it true
and they still call it a theory.
scientists can call it a theory but, the
truth is all that matters.
I have no faith in science since they cannot find the solution for many diseases.
my faith is not in science.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:29 pm
@justforme23,
Faith is a separate matter from science. One can have faith and still use the brain in the natural world.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:15 pm
@justforme23,
justforme23 wrote:

I have no faith in science since they cannot find the solution for many diseases.
my faith is not in science.

Science has wiped many bacterial diseases away. Polio is almost gone and smallpox is no more. A couple of years ago I had the early onset of shingles, a disease that travels along nerve endings causing extreme pain. My doctor got me on a heavy dose of the new anti-virals and it stopped it in its tracks. Science has allowed us to replace hearts, repair knees looking through small fibers, break up gall stones using ultrasonics and open arteries with balloons. My boss had a tear in one of his heart valves and the surgeons fixed it on the fly (instant death if it tears all the way.) Of all the reasons to distrust science (and there really aren't any), medical progress is not one of them.
justforme23

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:36 pm
@engineer,
Okay, you can have in science.
My faith I still in god.
justforme23

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:39 pm
@engineer,
The more science heals viruses, as long as we continue to sin, worse inflictions appear.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 01:21 am
@justforme23,
justforme23 wrote:

, as long as we continue to sin,

You mean like hating people for being born with a particular sexual preference?
0 Replies