Boston Public Schools replace suggestive condoms

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 11:46 am
Huh, isn't that the idea?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/03/07/boston-public-schools-condoms/6158267/
Boston Public Schools decided to pull thousands of donated condoms from its schools after parents complained about the suggestive messaging on the packaging.

The condoms displayed on her account showed wrappers with a camel and the words "hump one," a shark chasing a fish with the message "tasty one" and Coca-Cola lettering with the saying "enjoy one."

Isn't the idea of a condom to have sex ---

maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 12:00 pm
@Linkat,
hmmm...

I think I agree with the school's decision. The idea of a public school passing out condoms is to promote health safety, not to promote sex or any idea of sex. Plain wrappers are fine.

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 01:08 pm
@maxdancona,
My experiences are ... well, not only from more than 25 years ago and from Germany.
When my colleague from the district's public health department and I gave condoms to school pupils and visitors of youth centres, we always noticed that those with "fun wrappings" were taken but those looking like "medicine" (= plain wrapping) weren't looked at.
Condom producers made and still make special wrappings especially for the youth here.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 01:18 pm
@Linkat,
I wonder if the ones with the plain, generic wrappers will also be donated to the school.

Boston schools must be flush with cash to turn away 40,000 donated condoms because some parents object to the wrappers.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 01:23 pm
@boomerang,
Well I can understand that they may prefer the plain ones - but like you said these were donated. And the idea of being offended makes no sense. I mean they are used for kids having sex so why is are these wrappers such an issue. It is almost like you can't have both.

It was so funny to hear some of the parents remarks about why they are offensive - one said that it promoted violence against women.

And what kid is showing their parents the cute little condom wrappers they got from school.

I guess I just cannot fathom why the same parents that saying it is ok for jim and jane to have sex, but just not with condom that actually say they are having sex.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 05:34 pm
Do kids who use condoms have higher SAT scores than those without condoms?

By the way, Catholic schools never issue condoms, plain or otherwise.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:10 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
By the way, Catholic schools never issue condoms, plain or othe

Quote:

There are Jews in the world.
There are Buddhists.
There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
There are those that follow Mohammed, but
I've never been one of them.

I'm a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
You don't have to have a great brain.
You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground.
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can't be found.
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:16 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not really. Horny humans, including horny teenagers, will have sex; that's just a fact of life. Teenagers don't need condoms to get this idea into their heads. The idea of condoms, rather, is to make that sex safe. I generally approve of school policies that de-stigmatize sex. I especially approve of school policies that de-stigmatize sex being safe, and that inform their students how to make it safer.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 10:59 pm
@Thomas,
I can see an ad for Hillshire farm kielbasi
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 11:37 pm
@Linkat,
I fail to see the comedy of a shark chasing a fish and the condom saying 'tasty one'. What taste, and who can't count? Surely 'twice as nice' would be more apt. Some parents may be sick from having sex shoved down their throat every which way they turn so I'm going to go generic on this one. I'm glad they made it clear it wasn't a bactrian camel but the coke joke got up my nose.
Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 12:37 am
@maxdancona,
Weren't you going to post the condom dialogue that immediately follows in this movie?

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 08:09 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Not really. Horny humans, including horny teenagers, will have sex; that's just a fact of life. Teenagers don't need condoms to get this idea into their heads. The idea of condoms, rather, is to make that sex safe. I generally approve of school policies that de-stigmatize sex. I especially approve of school policies that de-stigmatize sex being safe, and that inform their students how to make it safer.

I don't think you understand what I meant by that -- the very nature of the use of a condom is sex. Of course you don't need one to have sex, I have two kids so I think I know that fact.

What I was getting at was to have something sexually suggestive on a condom wrapper is offensive seems odd seeing that is what you use a condom for. So if you feel offensive of something sexually suggestive for kids wouldn't you be offended by use of a condom?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:10 am
@Miss L Toad,
Miss L Toad wrote:
Some parents may be sick from having sex shoved down their throat

Surely only half the parents, on average.

And actually, that's pretty good way to avoid becoming one....
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 10:40 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
So if you feel offensive of something sexually suggestive for kids wouldn't you be offended by use of a condom?

Perhaps, but I don't feel offended by something sexually suggestive for kids. I think kids need to know about sex, pregnancy, and contraception well before they become sexually mature. If sexually-suggestive packaging helps with the learning, so be it.

More importantly, even if I was offended by the way schools teach children about sex, I'm not sure the schools should defer to that. Children have a right to know about sex. Parents do not have the right to keep them ignorant. Sometimes, parents forget that they do not own their children. They are merely their stewards. And judging by the rate of teenage pregnancies in the US, compared to other countries, public schools in the US seem to respect the wishes of prudish parents too much rather than too little.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 02:47 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat,

I agree with Miss Toad that the Shark imagery is the most troubling of the examples in the original article. Again, to me this would not be a big deal, but I understand why some parents (particularly in liberal Massachusetts) would take issue. That image is clearly not meant to be instructive of healthy sexuality.

Let me ask you the question Linkat, where do you draw the line? Is there any messaging on condom wrappers handed out to teenagers that you would find offensive?

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:37 pm
Insanity. No one is promoting sex with a suggestive wrapper. If any thing is suggesting anything, it's the condoms themselves.

I'd personally rather have my child be doing it with a suggestively wrapped condom than with no condom at all.

No matter how you think you've raised your kids, they are old enough to decide if they want to do it or not. It's true that kids shouldn't be having sex at all. But they do. Best to educate them and hope they make the smart decision.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:44 pm
@maxdancona,
To be honest I would not want someone giving my child a condom -- I think I am in the best position to have this discussion with my daughters - so the point is moot of what is on the condom wrapper.

I do realize especially in Boston public schools - that some children do not have parents so involved in their child's lives these children may not have other alternatives or parents with a good source of advice. I do think you should have the authority to opt out in a sense or be a bit more involved, but to be honest, it isn't something I dwell on. To date my kids give me more information that I've ever shared with my parents.

No I don't particularly like the wrappers, but I just find it ironic that those supporting handing them out are against these particular ones -- you think the children are mature enough for sex, but yet not mature enough to handle the joke on the wrappers.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Boston Public Schools replace suggestive condoms
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 10:22:55