SITES I TRIED ON THE WAY TO A2K...

pueo

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:21 am
looked at several sites which escape my mind right now. got invited to ravens realm many times, but never took a look. i was affuzed out at the time. afuzz had it's moments though, met c.i. on afuzz. had a lot of fun there with debacle, aa, andrew t, vsecrets, count fathom, and my friend c.i.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:56 am
I sorta understood that, roger. Sorry if my earlier remark, edited, was confusing. It was intended as humor.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 06:12 am
Hums:

Don't speak Italian but (since you brought it up) would like to know...
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 06:22 am
*Cosa?*

-- *Scuze* --

That is, what? You'd like to know what? Ask away.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:59 pm
Question What your signature translates to in English, and any related interesting story which you alluded to...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:20 pm
Now you sound like the old genteel, hums, and boy, am I glad.

Too bad about abuzz. We had some good times there, but I'm really afraid it's going down. I tried another site before this - forget what it was called - so brief was my visit. But I had been told about able a couple months ago and was just slow getting here.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:32 am
Excuse Me?
Sound like what? The same individual is behind the same two keyboards, and writes content that doesn't vary from one User I.D. to the other.

The only thing that's "different" -- where different User I.D.'s are concerned -- is other people's perceptions.

I identified "myself" -- HumsTheBird -- as the same person who uses
"genteel..." on ABZ -- to the site, when I registered here. And, mamajuana, you are already aware of that User I.D., too, from e-mails and elsewhere.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:44 am
To Be Clear, Because Someone Is Going Misunderstand:
Wanted to be clear about something, because someone is bound to misunderstand, eventually, as human beings do (I try to write with such specificity as to avoid misunderstandings, but, people misunderstand specificity, too).

Anyway, I only used "Genteel" ("genteel" and, later, "genteel.of.115307") (but never simultaneously, and those were the modifications of only one User I.D. at ABZ, over time, in response to various conditions there), on ABZ and ABZ only.

It was a spontaneous naming when I first signed up on ABZ, years ago, because I'd been reading a book about roses and some song lyrics by a certain rock musician, and, the word, "genteel" came to mind. So, I just used it as an I.D. on ABZ as an act of the moment, without any forethought, plan or intended "message" or characterization or any other meaning beyond that momentary interest in other literary content on my desk.

We use what's available to us, as a resource, over time. So, over time, using ABZ, that word became my general recognizable personna, despite the whimsy of the moment when the I.D. was registered there.

That site (ABZ) is now an experience in the downslide of the human condition, and requires a great deal of patience with the various problematic behaviors that humans are capable of engaging in (now, THAT was a "genteel" description of the site, if ever there was one).

I don't use the I.D. of "Genteel" -- or, "genteel" -- anywhere on the Internet, but I DO use "HumsTheBird," "humsthebird," "Hums The Bird," -- depending on what site allows what spelling in a User I.D., spaces or lack thereof -- and I am fond of that User I.D. and personally affiliated with it, for obtuse and creative reasons.

I don't care for any further ABZ related relationships, as defined from within that site and based upon bad experiences there, to carry forward to other sites, where I'm concerned. That is, whatever's under my control -- User I.D.'s are, as I use them -- I don't care to extend the ABZ issues through and by.

So, I registered both User I.D.'s here, with the site's permission ("Genteel" is registered for safe keeping and posterity, but isn't going to be used by me; if someone else appears later and uses some permutation of that I.D., it won't be me doing so). And, "HumsTheBird" is my I.D. of choice.

Hope this explains that, although the User I.D.'s from one site to another, in the case of ABZ only when compared with the Internet as a whole, I'm the same individual here as "HumsTheBird," as I was as "genteel.of.115307" on ABZ. It's just that ABZ now represents to me a very bad experience, and I don't care to continue the reference.

Here or elsewhere. But, the only change in personna, as earlier mentioned by others, is by others -- other people's perceptions change, based upon preexisting assumptions. Which I've noticed, by the way.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:49 am
PDiddie wrote:
Question What your signature translates to in English, and any related interesting story which you alluded to...

==========================

PDiddie:

I explained it earlier, but, again, the signature line, in Italian, is a popular expression, in Italy, for to toast an occasion, or before a kiss, or, as a general "feel good" thing to say to commemorate a moment.

And, it means, in Italian:

"Since the house is on fire," (or, "since the house is burning..."), "let us now warm ourselves."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 06:39 am
Abuzz was the first forum that I joined. As everybody must know, I was HOOKED. During that time, I joined Raven's Realm, but never could seem to "connect" there.

When Abuzz went through her "cyberpause" (howdja like that word? It means when a website goes through the "change"), I started to feel more and more uncomfortable with what was going on.

I found that there were fewer and fewer threads where one could have an intelligent conversation. Adolescent-like imposters were swarming the site. Abuzz was rife with mean spiritedness. I posted less and less.

When I learned about A2K, I jumped right on. I was so pleased to learn about the safety features that were built into the site (Kudos to Jespah and Craven) to prevent the kinds of nasty things that were happening on Abuzz.

For awhile, I would go on Abuzz once a day, and just look around. I found that I had less and less to say there. Now I think that I can finally take the Abuzz link off my desktop!
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 07:19 am
I Agree
I agree with your general experience, JoanneDorel. It's about what mine was, again, in general. It's my experience, however, that, unless you're a member of a site that involves restrictive registration, it's just a general speak by anyone.

ABZ is one of the many sites that doesn't enforce TOS, and, they're even openly ridiculed on the site, as they are on many sites.

The level of personal animosities is dismaying. Unfortunately, it's not a fair world and never will be.
0 Replies

buster

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:37 am
I fell upon this forum quite by accident whilst doing a search on Google for an answer to some comp probs I was having.I'm totally blown away by the vast array of topics available here and also by the wide divergance of nationalities converging here.The warm welcome i've received in my very short time here is soooo heart warming.
The site I regularaly visited is soon to be closed down ,Blue Carrots.com,which was great a couple of years ago in its infancy but has degenerated into personal slanging matches which is a shame Crying or Very sad
Anyway look forward to talking online to you lot now Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 10:30 am
Hi buster, WELCOME to A2K. We have active members from many countries, which makes for great discussions on politics and economy. Nothing like first hand information from A2K compatriots. As a matter of fact, I'm flying off to London, England, from San Francisco to meet with some A2Kers in England and Germany on Monday, March 17. Nice way to meet and enjoy people from all over the world. c.i.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:06 am
Hey there buster! Welcome!
0 Replies